Power Steering Fluid for 2003 Hyundai?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

I have a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. I'm getting the power steering pump replaced for a third time in 3 months. The first two were A1 Cardone pumps and both were noisy and had issues. I finally broke down and ordered an OEM pump that my mechanic is going to install next week. But I'm curious: what fluid should he be using? I don't actually know what he used the first two times. Hyundai calls for something called "PSF-3" which no one ever has and most dealerships don't stock or use. I've read where ATF is fine in these systems. When I did a simple suck out/fill of the system over the years I used both store brand power steering fluid and then Maxlife PS fluid. So...I'm guessing that it isn't too picky. I just want to see what others are using with success in early 2000s Hyundais.

Thanks!

Hyundai's and PSF are kind of a confusing topic. My old Elantra also speç'd PSF-3 but nobody seemed to stock it. I read around and apparently older owner's manuals said PSF-3 or Dexron ATF could be used. I called Royal Purple and they said their PSF would work fine in my application. That's what I ended up using.

I use ATF fluid in many Hyundai's and Kias just fine. Usually Maxlife or what ever fluid I have on hand.

I use Preston. It's $5 a qt at Walmart. PSF-4 is the new Hyundai fluid, Kia has it cheaper but it still is ridiculously expensive.

RAVENOL PSF Power Steering Fluid J1B1031 = Hyundai/Kia PSF-3

Available on Ebay and Amazon

FYI - RAVENOL SSF Power Steering Fluid J1B1001 = Hyundai/Kai PSF-4

At work we have and use PS-3&4 . I havent seen the msds or pdf , however it is red in color. It has a distinct odor kinda like a mix between trans and psf, thicker than trans fluid but not as thick as psf. Id see if you could find some for a good price on amazon or ebay, if not I think a good trans fluid would do fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back