How long until new engine turns oil black?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you guys know I recently bought a new Ford Edge (2.0 eco-boost)and I finally have almost 1500 miles on it but the oil looks the same as it did when I bought it with a little over 400 miles.There's also none of the shiny metal shavings that I can see in the oil.

So I'm wondering if this is normal because it's a new car, or does it have more to do with the type of engine it is and that it's semi-synthetic oil?

I drive about 10 miles to work and then 10 back of course, plus around 5 or so for lunch Monday through Friday.

Now the tailpipe does have the black soot stains on it, but I read that's pretty normal for direct injection/turbo engines.

Okay, well any info would be appreciated.

I was unable to see anything shiny on the dipstick of my new engine... but I could see it shine after it drained into the catch pan.

Originally Posted By: AnarchyX
So I'm wondering if this is normal because it's a new car, or does it have more to do with the type of engine it is and that it's semi-synthetic oil?

Type of engine will probably play into it more than anything else. For example, a diesel engine will turn oil black within just a couple hundred miles. On a typical gasoline engine it should take a lot longer.

It may also be oil dependent. Some add packs, once activated, can cause the oil color to turn darker, but that in itself is not a cause for condemnation.

FYI, I change oil in my 530i once a year. I probably have around 6-8K miles on it at that point, and the oil is still not black by then.

What Quattro said and a new engine isn't loaded with sludge so going black fast isn't the norm.
I ran out one of my new Fords to 6200 miles on the FF and it was still golden color
The cut open filter looked good for another 5 grand too

The Edge we bought with the new 2.0 Ecoboost had clean looking oil when I changed it. The dealer was adamant to change the factory fill when the message says to. I gave in at 5000 miles. Let it drain for and hour and filled with Home Depot Shell and a Motorcraft filter.

If you have a spin-on oil filter, I’d start using FilterMags that match the filter
Diameter. See the results in the PDF below. If you know the filter has 3/4” clearance
all the way around the filter, then I’d use a pair of FilterMags.

I’ve been doing it for last 3 years along with more bar mags on open space on the filter,
it keeps my oil clean for 8-9 months! My UOA shows 40-50% less iron and a drop in all other wear metals.

FILTERMAG vs HOMEBREW
https://app.box.com/s/uxvu8dmscf5wcgftutdm0ejqwgn86tw7

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Your Ecoboost should in theory turn the oil dark faster than a regular port injection gas engine.

For sure.

I would change oil and filter at 1,000 miles.

Dipstick oil color doesn't tell the whole story.

I noticed the same thing on my (then) new Honda Accord. It took a long time for the oil to darken at all. Happened again after the first change.

I think the engine is just really clean.

How long until new engine turns oil black?

More than 15,000 miles..... I've run it that far, and it STILL ISN'T black, just dark brown.

No sludge in the valve cover through the oil fill hole. 155,000 miles

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Your Ecoboost should in theory turn the oil dark faster than a regular port injection gas engine.

For sure.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Type of engine will probably play into it more than anything else. For example, a diesel engine will turn oil black within just a couple hundred miles. On a typical gasoline engine it should take a lot longer.

It may also be oil dependent. Some add packs, once activated, can cause the oil color to turn darker, but that in itself is not a cause for condemnation.

FYI, I change oil in my 530i once a year. I probably have around 6-8K miles on it at that point, and the oil is still not black by then.

With one of my old 240Ds, you could count on total darkness in fresh oil by the time I drove to work and back once, about fifty miles.

For sure.

Change the filter if you think it needs it. But IMO I'd let the break in oil run it's full course. It's full of a lot of juicy additives that help with safe break in of parts. Usually they're pretty high in moly and zinc

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter

For sure.

Change the filter if you think it needs it. But IMO I'd let the break in oil run it's full course. It's full of a lot of juicy additives that help with safe break in of parts. Usually they're pretty high in moly and zinc

Dude, what are you smokin'?
Everyone here knows that we know better than any manufacturer about drain intervals, oil specs and oil grade than they do.
It's not like they have a warranty and could tell us that we need to drain the FF at 1K or 3K or 5K or whatever, right? Oh, maybe not.
What about all those old cars you see running around everywhere every day?
Easy.
They all run M1 0W-40 and have done so since new.

As you guys know I recently bought a new Ford Edge (2.0 eco-boost)and I finally have almost 1500 miles on it but the oil looks the same as it did when I bought it with a little over 400 miles.

This is nothing to complain about! My 2010 Toyota Prius with 157K miles, not in the signature since I don't service it, has cleaner looking oil at 9K miles than my other vehicles at 1K. Engine technology is continually improving. Enjoy your ride!

In answer to the original questions:

A new engine won't turn the oil black quickly, nor will you see metal shavings on the dipstick; if metal debris is that large and thick in the oil, it's screwed.

But change it soon anyway. None of the reasons for running FF to full OCI stick with me...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter

For sure.

Dude, what are you smokin'?
Everyone here knows that we know better than any manufacturer about drain intervals, oil specs and oil grade than they do.
It's not like they have a warranty and could tell us that we need to drain the FF at 1K or 3K or 5K or whatever, right? Oh, maybe not.
What about all those old cars you see running around everywhere every day?
Easy.
They all run M1 0W-40 and have done so since new.

I take that back. I had found the original thread and noted that was only Honda that used a special break in oil

Carry on

Are you going to do like most members here do, use the oil filter multiple times?
I just can't wait to see how many jump off of the "USE FILTER MULTIPLE TIMES" wagon and flame me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back