Mazda CX-9 OCI...sample or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Need some advice on my current OCI on my 2012 Mazda CX-9 3.7 V6. Coming up on 9 months on Mobil Synthetic 5w-20 with 4,588 miles. Manual says 6 months or 7,500 miles on conventional. This is my first OCI on full synthetic and had to add 1 quart of makeup oil early on...hoping it was from changing to synthetic (consumption has seemed to stop).

Question, should I sample and test at this point or wait 3 more months and change (plus test) at the 1 year mark?
Car is not short tripped and gets plenty of highway mileage...so should be good with no fuel dilution.

Thanks to all.

I'm fairly sure the 2012 V6 engine is not direct injection...so IMO you could take it out to a year and not worry; sampling then makes sense along with the change, especially since it's mostly highway miles. (Or, if you're more aggressively pursuing a longer OCI, leave it in pending results)

Thanks Kuato, yes not direct injection. Has Ford 3.7L V6. Just getting a little nervous because of time in OCI, but mileage relatively low and decent driving conditions. Time seems to be a minor variable in an OCI...just needed some experienced opinions. Appreciate your time.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'd wait until 1 year.

If he just pulls a sample from the pan through the dipstick tube and waits on the UOA he'll know just where he stands. He'll likely be in spec for an extended OCI but if he isn't well its much better to play it safe.

Last edited:
My gut tells me I should be fine for a year or 7,500 miles on full synthetic. The manual says 6 months or 7,500 miles on conventional...unless I am missing something that happens to oil over time, say the 6 extra months. There are folks on here that have ran oil for 2+ years with low miles and came back looking good. This is my first OCI on this new proposed annual oil change on synthetic, I will probably sample just to be safe. Appreciate the help and guidance. Stay safe all.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
My gut tells me I should be fine for a year or 7,500 miles on full synthetic. The manual says 6 months or 7,500 miles on conventional...unless I am missing something that happens to oil over time, say the 6 extra months. There are folks on here that have ran oil for 2+ years with low miles and came back looking good. This is my first OCI on this new proposed annual oil change on synthetic, I will probably sample just to be safe. Appreciate the help and guidance. Stay safe all.

Does your gut buy a new engine if you're wrong?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

You must be new here.

You can run an engine 10k miles on conventional and it would probably be fine.

I'm guessing you change your oil every 3,000 miles?

Ha, that is why I am going to sample or just change and sample. Gut's don't pay for new engine...that is for sure. Do plan on keeping the car or a while.

This is my first OCI on full synthetic and had to add 1 quart of makeup oil early on...hoping it was from changing to synthetic (consumption has seemed to stop).

Question, should I sample and test at this point or wait 3 more months and change (plus test) at the 1 year mark?
Car is not short tripped and gets plenty of highway mileage...so should be good with no fuel dilution.

M1, Pennzoil Plat and Ultra seem to do the same thing when changing over to their synthetics(with cars over a few years old). Consume a little like you mention then it seems to go away after a few oil changes at the most. Nothing to be concerned about.

Change at the one year mark or 10k miles which ever comes first.

Got a bunch of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum I am excited in running...might cave to the temptation early. Appreciate everyone's honestly and help. Thanks.

Thanks SatinSilver, I noticed that exact same thing. Had dealer oil changes on bulk Castrol GTX for the first 49,000 miles...now consumption seems to have stopped later in OCI. Makes me feel better...started to wonder what was going on with the consumption.

Last edited:

You must be new here.

Did you read my registration date. LOL wrong twice!

You must be new here.

Did you read my registration date. LOL wrong twice!
Your registration date means nothing. Your first post here was 3 weeks ago.

So you created an account years ago and was never active on here learning new things.

Now you log in and think you're a genius
lol.gif

Easy fellas, don't get this thread shut down by someone in (shhh) management because of personal attacks.

Thanks Kuato, yes not direct injection. Has Ford 3.7L V6. Just getting a little nervous because of time in OCI, but mileage relatively low and decent driving conditions. Time seems to be a minor variable in an OCI...just needed some experienced opinions. Appreciate your time.

The Ford 3.7 is a stout engine, it also serves in the F150 and IIRC has a 10k/1 year OCI maximum. I'd have no issue going a year; what it comes down to is your personal preference, which leads to:

Staunchly conservative, can't go wrong there. An early sample isn't a bad idea, but a 1 year,
How certain are you? You could always offer to pay for the early one, and if you're right that the oil is done at 7500, I'll pay you back double.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Sample at 7500 and they will most likely tell you good until 10k. But if you're having trouble sleeping you can sample it now

Or, for the same or less coin, depending upon how much of a deal hunter you are, you could just go ahead and change the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back