Factory fill 5w30, 1,395 Miles, 2017 Chevrolet SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did my first oil change in my new 2017 SS. Based on advice from some of the powertrain engineering hardware engineers at work I targeted the first change to be 1,500 miles assuming it should be nearly fully broken in at that point. A 900 mile weekend trip forced me to change it a little early.

I followed the owner manual's break-in advice up to the 1000km (621 mile) mark which was no heavy acceleration, do not exceed 68 mph, vary speed regularly, limit engine braking, etc. At the 621 mile mark I started using full power/RPM range on the engine and some driving over 68 mph.

I did cut open the factory PF48 oil filter, maybe I will take pictures and post those somewhere on here too.

Code:

OIL FF 5w30

MILES IN USE 1395

MILES 1395

SAMPLE TAKEN 08/24/17

ALUMINUM 5

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 43

COPPER 190

LEAD 2

TIN 1

MOLYBDENUM 75

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 10

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 7

BORON 217

SILICON 36

SODIUM 10

CALCIUM 1990

MAGNESIUM 10

PHOSPHORUS 757

ZINC 809

BARIUM 1

ANTIFREEZE 0.0

WATER 0.0

INSOLUBLES 0.1

TBN 5.8

FLASHPOINT ºF 415

SUS VIS 210ºF 58.1

cSt @ 212ºF 9.67

Not a particularly strong oil for a 30 grade oil in a performance car. Viscosity new couldn't have been over 10.0...similar to PP, QSUD. Doesn't appear to be a Castrol Edge and certainly not a Mobil 1 product. TBN probably started out around 7.0. Good to get something else in there now.

Moly 75 ppm, Boron 217 ppm, Zinc 809 ppm, detergent is Ca at 1990 ppm

Any idea what the factory fill is ?

Congratulations on the new car.

OP, nice car! You did the right thing changing the FF early. If you have a manual trans, do that ASAP too. When changing the manual trans on my new BMWs I was SHOCKED how much metal drained out. Left in there this would get ground up into an abrasive metallic paste.

Scott

Originally Posted By: planeman223
Congrats on the purchase. Did you go with the 6MT?

Thanks everyone! Yes, of course it is the 6MT
smile.gif

I hadn't much considered changing the MT fluid so soon, I will have to think about it. I know a few Tremec engineers up here, I will consult with them. Pretty sure the FF on the trans is Dex 6.

Just to correct myself, I am wrong. GM says to use GM 88861800 in the TR-6060, which is re-branded Dex III.

Originally Posted By: lanteau
Originally Posted By: planeman223
Congrats on the purchase. Did you go with the 6MT?

Thanks everyone! Yes, of course it is the 6MT
smile.gif

I hadn't much considered changing the MT fluid so soon, I will have to think about it. I know a few Tremec engineers up here, I will consult with them. Pretty sure the FF on the trans is Dex 6.

I think Tremec recommends ATF DEX 3, just like they have for most of their factory supplied manual transmissions of the past 30 yrs. Amsoil ATF seems to get a lot of support. I could see some going up a bit to a synchromesh viscosity. But, I wouldn't want to drop to the low viscosity of a Dex 6.

Link to one discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back