Help an OLD Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea what 4G or 5G means when it comes to these new fangled phones. I've never had one in my hand let alone tried to use one, but SWMBO says it's time to get "in touch"
If it can be explained or a reading reference I'd appreciate the help.

Ever grateful
Smoky

Smoky, head on down to your nearest town and find a cell phones store. Ask them to explain things to you. Basically, 4G means signal strength and the cell phone company can tell you what the signal strength in your area is. It might well be less that; say, 3G. I didn't know either that there is now a 5G! LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going to be buying a new cell phone any time in the near future, you will not have an option about 4G vs 5G - it will have to be 4G since 5G isn't available yet. And even when 5G phone become available, they'll be so expensive, it will be another year after that before regular folks will start to consider them viable options.

As far as what the 4G/5G denotes, that's just a classification for the type of communication the phone uses to talk to the cell towers (and back to home @ATT, Sprint, etc.). 4G is better than 3G, and 5G is better than 4G. As as general rule, you can think of each successive generation as just being able to handle more data at the same time versus the previous generation. This will only come into play if you're watching videos or streaming movies on your phone using the wireless provider as your internet connection.

If that's all still a little confusing, it might help to think of the xG (2G, 3G, 4G, 5G, etc.) designations like fuel management in internal combustion engines. The old-school carb-fed engines could be thought of as 2G, and the multi-port fuel injection engines could be thought of as 3G.
The latest and greatest nowadays is direct injection, which could be thought of as 4G. I don't know what's next for our engines, but think of that as 5G - imminent but not in use yet.

clear as mud?

Most of these cell phone dealers, I know Verizon does, has classes to show older folks how to use the phone and all the stuff they do.
They like to get people hooked on phone crack more or less.
Me, I just ask my kids what do I want and how does this work.
Lately whatever my wife gets, I get that way she can show me all the functions.

I feel I must mention this for the benefit of all mankind:

Even though there's 4G (as mentioned) and TONS of other features (which are magic as far as I'm concerned) just remember....

The phone companies still make flip phones for people buy. Nobody is obligated to buy any "modern" phone if there's no need.

I found the Cricket Nokia windows phone to be good for Grumpy Old &^%%$^*

I got one
smile.gif
and its only 30 bucks a month "unlimited" with the phone basically free - also no contract. AT&T network.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Basically, 4G means signal strength and the cell phone company can tell you what the signal strength in your area is. It might well be less that; say, 3G.

This is incorrect.

This is "data RATE transfer ability" - - Like checking the weather, or using the phone as a GPS.

Signal strength is a series of dots on apple, and a little incline graph on android and others.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
I have no idea what 4G or 5G means when it comes to these new fangled phones. I've never had one in my hand let alone tried to use one, but SWMBO says it's time to get "in touch"

Ever grateful
Smoky

It's each generation of cell service/speed. 3G is third generation, 4G is fourth generation, etc. 5G is the fastest of the currently available service in the US.

As a side note, European networks are a LOT faster than the US networks...IMO the US companies have the capability to be as fast, but use the periodic upgrade in speed as a marketing technique to increase sales over time.

Thanks guys, since momma wants the darn thing I leave the operation to her. I have no need to talk to anyone anymore because I have nothing interesting to say and this site has the most intelligent people I know so I'll continue to one finger type and enjoy my old age.
Thanks again
Smoky

Originally Posted By: Kira
I feel I must mention this for the benefit of all mankind:

Even though there's 4G (as mentioned) and TONS of other features (which are magic as far as I'm concerned) just remember....

The phone companies still make flip phones for people buy. Nobody is obligated to buy any "modern" phone if there's no need.

Flip phones with big number buttons!

I have no need to talk to anyone anymore because I have nothing interesting to say, and this site has the most intelligent people I know so I'll continue to one finger type and enjoy my old age.
Thanks again
Smoky

I love this! ^^^

Bless you, Smoky!

Thanks guys, since momma wants the darn thing I leave the operation to her. I have no need to talk to anyone anymore because I have nothing interesting to say and this site has the most intelligent people I know so I'll continue to one finger type and enjoy my old age.
Thanks again
Smoky

Old man also, don't have a cell phone and don't want one, NOBODY talks anymore anyway, they have their faces buried in their phones.

Ever grateful
Smoky

Don't feel bad, I am still trying to find a drug store where I can check the tubes from my flip phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back