Kia 3.8L V6 - Lighter Grade Oil Better ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Kia Sedona 3.8L V6 (185K miles) , I believe there is a "semi - controversy" in terms of what grade oil (5W20 vs. 5W30) to use ?
Something about smaller oil passageways in this engine design show it performs best with 5W20 while others say since 5W30 is also suitable (listed in the OM) and can be considered suitable as well ... *What says you Kia engine experts ?

20w50 or bust
laugh.gif

Either one is fine... no big deal at all.

I have a customer with an older 3.8 Hyundai. Last time I changed it I put in 10w30 HM oil. Runs perfect and he says he adds less oil now.

For GA I say at least 5w30 and 10w30 if it leaks/uses a fair amount of oil.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
5W-30 is already a light oil. 5W-20 is for sub zero temperatures.

And +100F temps as well.

For GF-5 oils with an HTHS range of 2.6 to 3.2 mpas I would always go with the highest regardless of what the owners manual states. Having said that, my friend has a Hyundai Accent circa 2007 who uses 5w20 dino with many successful miles. Use what you're comfortable with.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Put in straight 50 weight for a few hundred miles, and it will stretch those oil passages right out
smile.gif

01.gif

So what oil are you using? Does it burn or leak,etc? What weight does the oil cap say?

Put in straight 50 weight for a few hundred miles, and it will stretch those oil passages right out
smile.gif

I had an old 1978 Pontiac Grand Prix with the dog 301 v8 in it. Near the end of its life, I was running Kendall GT straight 70 weight oil because the engine was so worn out.

L8R,
Matt

Oil Cap = 5W20
**Any truth to this engine having "narrow" oil passage ways thus 5W20 is preferred ?
Will also note this engine has a timing chain (not a timing belt) if that matters .

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Oil Cap = 5W20
**Any truth to this engine having "narrow" oil passage ways thus 5W20 is preferred ?

No.
Quote:
Will also note this engine has a timing chain (not a timing belt) if that matters .

So run the 5W-30.

Since you are in GA, I would use Valvoline full synthetic with Maxlife tech(silver bottle)in the 5W30 weight. Great oil and I have used it for the last year in 3 different vehicles.

Originally Posted By: AnthemBassMan
smile.gif

I had an old 1978 Pontiac Grand Prix with the dog 301 v8 in it. Near the end of its life, I was running Kendall GT straight 70 weight oil because the engine was so worn out.

L8R,
Matt

That 301 stood at the peak of engine development
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Oil Cap = 5W20

No, it's not due to small oil galleries, it's because of CAFE Governement fuel economy standards in the US.
As i said earlier, even though the oil cap says 5W-20, a 0W-30 or 5W-30 or even 10W-30 would not do it any harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back