Non-Used 5 Quart Bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I often will buy the 5 quart bottles because they were are better deal, but my car only takes 3.9 quarts at a time, and my wifes trucks takes 6. Either way I am left with some in the bottle at the end. My question is, if I put the non air tight cap back on it and store it in my shed will it still be good to use later down the road? OR will it have lost some protection properties.

Non air tight cap ? You think it's gonna get stale or something ?
grin.gif

Just "overfill" by 0.1 quart.

Or if you want to be really pedantic about it, 0.06 quarts in your wife's trick and 0.04 quarts in your car.

That way, you are guaranteed not to lose "protection properties".

Dino oil will probably degrade over... 50 years. Otherwise there is no fluid you have to worry about except Dot 3/4 brake fluid. That should be bought, opened, and used in the quantity you need. I mean except something with solvents.etc in it. A former-fluid like RTV sealant, etc, will shelf rot over a small # of years.

Grease may separate, but if you retain the base oil and mix it back in, good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bhoppy1216
I often will buy the 5 quart bottles because they were are better deal, but my car only takes 3.9 quarts at a time, and my wifes trucks takes 6. Either way I am left with some in the bottle at the end. My question is, if I put the non air tight cap back on it and store it in my shed will it still be good to use later down the road? OR will it have lost some protection properties.

Just pour 4 quarts into your car, then take the leftover quart and combine it with the 5 quart jug you would use for your wife. Problem solved. My Q50 takes 5.125 quarts (according to the manual) and I pour an entire 5.28 quart jug into the sump. Never any issues. I also use an oversized filter.

"Either way I am left with some in the bottle at the end."

There's a new expression which is applicable here.....This is a "First World Problem".

And the OP is from Houston, no less.

So left with .1 of a quart? Being a total thrill seeking risk taker, I would also overfill one of the cars by a poofteenth.

Originally Posted By: KL31
So left with .1 of a quart? Being a total thrill seeking risk taker, I would also overfill one of the cars by a poofteenth.

My money says one of those cars will be down a tenth in three months and that's were it goes.

Maybe the OPer doesn't use the same oil in the car and truck?

Anyway, should be fine to keep some oil in an opened bottle until your next change.

I have an oil can that is used to lubricate miscellaneous things I end up working on . That is where this kind of thing usually ends up .

Or keep pouring the " left over " into a 5 quart jug untill it contains enough to " help out " with another oil / filter change .

FWIIW , out little Chevy Sonic appears to hold approximately 4-1/2 quarts of DEXOS oil

Best of luck to all , :)

My car holds 3.9 so even if I did just throw all caution to the wind and became a thrill seeker like you said I would still have one full quart left over from the 5 quart bottle. My question was will that one quart still be good to use for the next time down the road.

My car holds 3.9 so even if I did just throw all caution to the wind and became a thrill seeker like you said I would still have one full quart left over from the 5 quart bottle. My question was will that one quart still be good to use for the next time down the road.

Of course it will be. Why wouldn't it? There won't be any "protection properties" that escape.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Maybe the OPer doesn't use the same oil in the car and truck?

Anyway, should be fine to keep some oil in an opened bottle until your next change.

I am looking to put them on the same oil but eve with a 7500 OCI on my car I am changing oil every two months due to my work commute while my wife's truck goes 3-4 months. Was just wondering if I could save that left over quart for my wife's truck to save a bit of money. Thanks for the confirmation:)

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Of course it will be. Why wouldn't it? There won't be any "protection properties" that escape.

I mean I don't know why it wouldn't. That's why I'm on a forum asking a bunch of other people. I'm an English teacher not a chemist or engineer, so I don't know the shelf life oil car oil.

I mean I don't know why it wouldn't. That's why I'm on a forum asking a bunch of other people. I'm an English teacher not a chemist or engineer, so I don't know the shelf life oil car oil.

It won't degrade. Motor oil isn't very volatile at room temperature (you can smell it so some components are obviously volatile) but it is in a plastic container with a secure cap. It is no more vulnerable than when it is sitting on the shelf at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

It won't degrade. Motor oil isn't very volatile at room temperature (you can smell it so some components are obviously volatile) but it is in a plastic container with a secure cap. It is no more vulnerable than when it is sitting on the shelf at Walmart.

Awesome, that will save me some money. Thank you
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Dave9
There is no fluid you have to worry about except Dot 3/4 brake fluid.

Repeated for truth.

Motor oil does NOT go stale on the shelf after being opened.

Brake fluid will absorb moisture from the air.
Oil will not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back