Blinded Muscle Car VOA Study 10 Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice find OP. The author of this VOA spent some serious money on his findings. Bravo to him/her. I enjoyed reading it and it was well written. The big surprise for me was the Lucas Hot Rod oil!

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Nice find OP. The author of this VOA spent some serious money on his findings. Bravo to him/her. I enjoyed reading it and it was well written. The big surprise for me was the Lucas Hot Rod oil!

I think the OP is the one who compiled the data and wrote the paper.

But yes, thank you for this! Very informative and will be a great reference for many bitogers!

Thanks for that information. One of the labs seems to be consistently far from the other ones when it comes to Ca/Phos/Zn and at times even viscosity.

Not sure who 69GTX is talking about since he won't just come out and say it yet, but...

TxChief, I want to personally thank you for, in my mind, providing all the proof necessary for silencing critics of Blackstone's analysis. In almost every test, they were in the middle of the three labs in the results, which does not prove which lab is the most (in)accurate, but at least they were not always the highest or lowest even on a given oil. In addition, the fact that there is actual, professional, experienced human interpretation provided with every sample should be a big plus to those in our community who have not spent hundreds or thousands of hours poring over this board to learn information.

Those things are important, but they are also here in my home state and only a 30-minute drive to drop off samples (not 16 days!)

Again, thank you for the time, effort, and money spent on this study. The wait and results were well worth it.

SubieRubyRoo: Thanks for the kind comment. Although I'm new to posting and commenting on BITOG, I've been reading the site for years. I wanted to see if there was anything to the arguments about which lab provided accurate results and see what the different lab's reports would show on identical samples of oil I was interested in using. I don't think any of the labs are inferior or superior to one another. They seem to be consistent in the results they produce.

Last edited:
Supports the general conclusion of research into value: You don't get what you pay for.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Thank you, Txchief!

It would be nice if the labs were calibrating to a more constant standard.

Polaris Labs is ISO 17025 A2LA Accredited

Personally, this means something to me because I work for an ISO accredited manufacturer and see what goes into maintaining accreditation. This is why I choose Polaris over the others.

From what i can tell 'muscle car' oil preferences are the same as ATV/UTV/motorcycle preferences. With that being said Rotella 15w40 is a value at $3/qt and has a stronger TBN along with add packs.

I think basing comments on $28 oil analyses can only be inconclusive.

There is so much more chemistry in any oil to affect its performance, than just looking at the elemental values.

As for lab results, I would say most are within laboratory instrumental tolerances.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I think basing comments on $28 oil analyses can only be inconclusive.

There is so much more chemistry in any oil to affect its performance, than just looking at the elemental values.

As for lab results, I would say most are within laboratory instrumental tolerances.

It is what it is, and that's something.

I'd be interested in on suggestions on other motor oil parameters to measure to help others make objective decisions on which oils to chooses for their vehicles. I know my study is not absolutely comprehensive, but other than advertising, there's really nothing else upon which to make a decision.

Originally Posted By: txchief
I'd be interested in on suggestions on other motor oil parameters to measure to help others make objective decisions on which oils to chooses for their vehicles. I know my study is not absolutely comprehensive, but other than advertising, there's really nothing else upon which to make a decision.

Off hand I like to look at the NOACK and CCS numbers. To me, that points to whether or not the rest of the formulation is using quality components. As some have said ZDDP is only part of the equation.

Then you still posted into a Forum that has no relevance to your study.

It is only a report based on your observations and opinions and as to the basis for your observations and opinions, I am still in the dark.

"A forum that has no relevance to your study." Really? I posted VOAs for ten difference oils (and 30 separate VOA reports) and my impressions of them. What forum would be more appropriate than the VOA forum?

I like it more for what it says about the labs than the oil!
Thanks for doing this. I am not going to use these types of oil, but I am sure a lot of people will, and it puts the info that most will want to see right at thier fingertips.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
I like it more for what it says about the labs than the oil!
Thanks for doing this. I am not going to use these types of oil, but I am sure a lot of people will, and it puts the info that most will want to see right at thier fingertips.

Thanks, I wanted to share the results with others. I was interested in the differences between labs as well as my hot rod motor application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back