Has anyone else had this happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a new Camry one week ago and noticed some dirty water spots on the front bumper cover but didn't think much about it. Fast forward a week. I washed the car and spots didn't come off. I look closely and find that everything on the car that is not metal has this problem. I think perhaps the transport driver had his truck washed on the way to Iowa and they used an acid wash that chemically reacted with plastic parts. I called the dealership and fortunately the prep guy took pics of it. They are going to make it "right." Am I the only one?

I have seen it before. They call it "industrial fallout" damage. A lot of times it actually happens when vehicles are transported by train to the distribution center where they are picked up by the trucks.

Why don't you go back to the same dealer and ask to see the pictures the "prep guy" took of the rest of the vehicles on the same transport truck? A dealer making things right? I don't have the word right in quotations; neither do I believe any dealer is interested in making things right. Please, oh please, post whatever happens and prove me wrong. Pictures would be wonderful...

I thought most new vehicles had protective coverings on bumpers, windshields etc. Maybe someone took the protectors off before they should have. Ed

They will try to have detail take it off by doing some version of a dealer installed swirl package that the manufacturer pays for. Worst case they will take it to a body shop and have it repainted. Either way it should have been not only caught during the PDI, Pre-Delivery Inspection, but sent up the chain of command and been corrected before the vehicle was put on the line.

I've experienced a dealer "making things right." Harbin Ford in north alabama replaced the entire front bumper cover when my x bought a new escape in 2008. there was a tiny nick from unloading it at the dealer on the very lowest part of the bumper. I only saw it when it was pointed out to me. They pointed it out to us and in two weeks asked us to bring it by. Brand new bumper. It can happen.

If/when I trade the tundra, you can absolutely be certain I'll be paying them a visit.

-m

If it's industrial fallout or rail dust, is it odd that it only affects the plastic or rubber areas? I will post more after dealer looks at it. I have pics but not sure if I can get them posted.

Last edited:
My wife's Kia Sorento had this. In fact, the car had the worst looking finish on it I had ever seen on a brand new car. Once I detailed it, it looked a lot better.

Originally Posted By: Aichiguy
I have pics but not sure if I can get them posted.

Click the reply tab, then click the box 5 over from the smiley face, it has a blue, up arrow on it. Click browse, add file from pc, then "all done".

What color is it? The front and rear plastic bumper covers have a much different finish compared to the metal painted finishes. Same paint code so they accept touch up paint ok. But if it chips just right you can peel off a bigger section of the paint esp with a scratch or gouge. I kind of seal the edges with the touch up paint so it doesn't get worse.

Doesn't sound like rail dust at all. A clay bar might do the trick.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help Satinsilver. Notice all the sheet metal is flawless. Will post more when I know more.

Sure thing, doesn't appear to be water spots, fall out or rail dust. Very perplexing. I wonder if the dealer applied some chemical to it as part of their car prep, allowed it to dry in the sun. Only a guess at this point.

Hopefully they didn't spray it with "wheel cleaner" as part of their new car prep. Which is very acidic, high ph. Safe for painted wheels but not safe for plastic parts. I could see someone thinking wheel cleaner might be a good prewash(which it isn't) to get rid of some of the shipping residue. Again just a guess.

Last edited:
Yes, good pictures! My guess dealer sprayed some harsh chemical on it like wheel cleaner. Which didn't react well with the plastic or he was side tracked/went to lunch while the chemical was on there.

I'll see what FastEddie says about this, he's a professional detailer.

The dealership is filing claim with Toyota as they think maybe it was damaged in transit. Got a call while I was typing this. They want my car next week. I'm dropping it off Tuesday. Stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back