2016 Grand Caravan SuperTech 5w/20 Full Syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.6 Pentastar, Miles on Engine:41086, Oil:SuperTech 5w/20 Full Synthetic, Miles on Oil: 10036, Make up oil: 0 quarts, Date of report: 08/07/2017

Owner Notes: The last 3500 miles on this vehicle/oil was a round trip to Louisiana over the week of July 4th. This UOA was provided as part of the Pennzoil UOA program. My current fill is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w/20.

Blackstone comments: Universal averages show typical wear for a run of about 7100 miles. Your engine is showing similar wear results to average after a long service interval, and that's nothing to complain about. The TBN is also hanging in there at 1.7 (1.0 is too low for continued use). This engine would do just fine with 12000 miles on the next service interval. Just don't exceed Chrysler's recommended mileage while the vehicle is under warranty. Excellent first report!

Note: All readings were within the Unit/Location Averages
Aluminum 5
Chromium 1
Iron 19
Copper 42
Lead 0
Tin 0
Molybdenum 102
Nickel 0
Manganese 2
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 4
Boron 52
Silicon 18
Sodium 9
Calcium 2167
Magnesium 11
Phosphorus 697
Zinc 810
Barium 0

SUS Viscosity @210F 53.4
cSt Viscosity@ 100 C 8.29
Flashpointin F 410
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0
Water % 0
Insolubles % 0.2
TBN 1.7
TAN N/A
ISO Code N/A

I drive a combination of very short trips in town (less than 2 miles) or long distances of 70 miles or greater, plus trips of 700 miles or greater during the holiday season. My goal with the UOA was to see how well my oil of choice is holding up with short distance driving and secondly, to see how a "generic" synthetic like SuperTech would compare to an upper echelon oil like Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. About 3500 miles into my current OCI. I plan on using a synthetic oil and going strictly by the OLM. For this OCI, the OLM indicated change around the 10k mile mark.

Last edited:
my wifes civic has had ST oil in from the first oil change, and it's well over 120K maybe even 150K and zero issues. great oil IMO.

Hard to beat ST made by WPP. David Newton ran it for 15k miles I think and it held up very good too. Don't need $30-50 a 5 qt container to do the job.

Good looking report. A ST vs PUP isn't really comparing apples to apples though. At the end of the day, I am not sure what the takeaway will be comparing ST to PP only because you are comparing one run only of ST to one run of PUP. You want to look for trends when comparing different brands and that is best achieved by comparing one brand over a series of consecutive UOAs.

TBN is "hanging in there" at 1.7 and they advise stretching it out to 12k? Not sure if this is sound advice.

Originally Posted By: otis24
TBN 1.7

Oil is overrun. If you don't want to have a quart per 1000 miles oil consumption next year, do not use it for 10k.
You did not pay for TAN, and this is wrong: it is definitely more than 4. Change oil when TBN is about 3, TAN in this case will be about same value.
Oil is cheap, especially SuperTech. What are you trying to reach saving $15 per year?

Originally Posted By: timeau
TBN 1.7

Oil is overrun. If you don't want to have a quart per 1000 miles oil consumption next year, do not use it for 10k.
You did not pay for TAN, and this is wrong: it is definitely more than 4. Change oil when TBN is about 3, TAN in this case will be about same value.
Oil is cheap, especially SuperTech. What are you trying to reach saving $15 per year?

I'll believe DNewton3 knowledge before this hog wash

ST oil, Harvest King oil, NAPA brand oils are all fine oils. Too bad if you don't like it

Originally Posted By: car51
otis24 said:
TBN 1.7

Please, confirm: this is a pure insult, correct?

ST oil, Harvest King oil, NAPA brand oils are all fine oils. Too bad if you don't like it

Please, cite my post where I did say that don't like ST.

P.S. I am waiting for explanation/apologies and/or admin staff reaction on your rude post.

Too many variables in drive style to suggest going to 12K miles next time for an OCI ... I'd consider 10K miles on a lower tier synthetic oil good and change it out . I don't believe Crysler will recommend anything over 7.5K mile any way so not worth the risk / reward factor here to go longer miles on a fill of ST .
Originally Posted By: sir1900
Good looking report. A ST vs PUP isn't really comparing apples to apples though. At the end of the day, I am not sure what the takeaway will be comparing ST to PP only because you are comparing one run only of ST to one run of PUP. You want to look for trends when comparing different brands and that is best achieved by comparing one brand over a series of consecutive UOAs.

TBN is "hanging in there" at 1.7 and they advise stretching it out to 12k? Not sure if this is sound advice.

otis24 said:
TBN 1.7

Please, confirm: this is a pure insult, correct?

Please, cite my post where I did say that don't like ST.

P.S. I am waiting for explanation/apologies and/or admin staff reaction on your rude post.

No one ever said you don't like the oil. Chill out with the angry tone also

The owners manual does not give a mileage limitation. It says to go by the OLM. I will double check that but I think that this is correct. The OLM activated around 10k miles, which is what I had planned to do anyway. If it activates sooner, I will change it sooner. This UOA was provided by Pennzoil. So, my goal was to see how a lower tier synthetic would hold up against a name brand synthetic doing long drain intervals. I did a 3500 mile round trip to Louisiana on this UOA. This is unusual for me. I plan on running my current UOA with PUP to 10k miles regardless of OLM just for similar comparison. I suspect that my OLM will activate much sooner with my typical short driving style. My goal is to see what advantages,if any, PUP offers over a "lesser" oil and to see if it is worth the price differential.

TBN 1.7

This. Last time I looked at ST I thought it used sodium as ant-wear. Also didn't recall the moly that high or that it had boron. Maybe bc its a 20wt oil.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
That oil is beat at 10K miles, and I highly disagree with going 12K miles on it as they recommend.

I am not saying I would. But I see no problem with going longer. Also hats off to Blackstone for having the courage to prudently extend the interval. Its not really in their interest to do so.

Last edited:
I would suggest TAN be added to your testing, when you want to start stretching an interval, most people strictly look at the BN. But without the AN, we really don't know how the oil is holding up with liquid contaminants.

Are you using E85?

While the BN may be around at 1.7, I don't know where it starts, likely 7-8 I'd assume, that's a large portion of the base that is not holding up. You really don't want to stretch an oil on it's last legs.

FTIR in this situation would be very appropriate, because the BN is for the base, not the additives. The AntiWear reading an FTIR read out will give you is a great indicator of the ZDDP life.

I'd be interested for a viscosity @40c reading rather than SUS readings. This is the best indicator of oxidated oil, combined with FTIR.

The copper at 42 and iron at 18 with insolubles at 0.2, isn't bad. I would put in a new air filter and you would see those wear values decrease a bit.

I think someone recently mentioned Polaris is doing ICP + FTIR + TBN + GC + VS for $19.99 or maybe $22.99, getting good testing for a low cost shouldn't be an issue.

The report looks good. I think I'd stick to the OCI you've been doing. To me the risk/reward in this situation doesn't pay to stretch the OCI any further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back