Need home brew Fuel Injector cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
444 Cummins will idle but won't rev, anyone have a very good homebrew fuel injector cleaner? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Why not just buy a bottle of proven OTC product, like Chevron Techron or Redline SI-1? They have a proven track record.

Those are gas additives.

If the engine is running at idle but won't rev up I would think that the issue is somewhere before the injectors. Fuel pump or fuel filter? I know when my numerous fuel powered tractors and vehicles had power issues it usually was the filters.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
If the engine is running at idle but won't rev up I would think that the issue is somewhere before the injectors. Fuel pump or fuel filter? I know when my numerous fuel powered tractors and vehicles had power issues it usually was the filters.

Yes, or a lift pump

Originally Posted By: bioburner

My first thought, too. Also electrical/ignition issues can cause this. Injectors would be much, much lower down the diagnostic list.

IIRC The 444 was just a mechanical cummins with a pt pump and automatically adjusting timing. If it wont rev its not all 6 injectors failed at the same time. Pump is bad or the filter is plugged.

As has been mentioned, try a fuel filter first. As a kid I drove some of those mechanical pump Cummins powered trucks, and man a slightly plugged fuel filter was awful. I don't recall one that was so bad that it wouldn't rev, but I changed filters plenty on those engines. If you can get it running enough to go down the road, get some Power Service, Howes or whatever diesel injector cleaner you can buy into the tanks.

Those older engines didn't have a whole lot of injection pressure or the tiny holes (in the injectors) that we have today, so not sure how much an injector cleaner will help.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
If anything is going to help a good shot of this should.

+1 This is a proven cleaner for diesel engines. I wouldn't bother with a homebrew versus something that is commonly known as a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back