Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one would you choose? OCI would be about 10-13K. I've seen plenty of M1 EP UOAs but not so much on Castrol EP.

Originally Posted By: Matagonka
Which one would you choose? OCI would be about 10-13K. I've seen plenty of M1 EP UOAs but not so much on Castrol EP.

I am also interested to know, based on what I read Castrol EP seems better.
M1 EP SN version is great, but not the SM version.

Depends all on price I think, providing they both meet your engine's requirements. If one is far cheaper, I'd bet happily that the price difference would not equate equally to performance difference.

I've got an old post with a BC0w30 UOA, on the same report the previous UOA was Castrol edge gold ext 5w30. Very good numbers, I'd post the link but it's a pain on my phone. Easy to search though.

They are both quality products when it comes time to buy more oil the one with the cheaper price gets the wink. Right now its Mobil at $22.88.

At a second glance its Castrol GTX MAGNATEC 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 QT $19.88.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
They are both quality products when it comes time to buy more oil the one with the cheaper price gets the wink. Right now its Mobil at $22.88.

At a second glance its Castrol GTX MAGNATEC 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 QT $19.88.

Well they just keep popping up this morning.
Havoline ProDS Synthetic Motor Oil 10W30 $16.73 I'd run that in a heart beat in my Toyota for summer oil.

Wonder if Havoline has a rebate on that?

Last edited:
Whichever is on sale at the better price
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Havoline ProDS Synthetic Motor Oil 10W30 $16.73 Got three Jugs!

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Havoline ProDS Synthetic Motor Oil 10W30 $16.73 Got three Jugs!

By the way its GM’sdexos1™ Gen 2 specification3.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Havoline is a great oil, no doubt about that. A correction though on your statement, the Pro DS 0w-20 and 5w-30 grades are dexos gen2 certified. The other grades do not carry that cert according to their website. Do your jugs have the gen2 logo on them?

https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=490665&docFormat=PDF

Well I tell you when they get here on Friday. Its not a deal breaker at $16.73 a jug delivered.
That will be my summer oil for the Toyota next spring.

Either way, it's good oil. Havoline doesn't get much play here on BITOG. Much of that is because WalMart doesn't carry it and they don't advertise like some of the others do. Chevron is no slouch when it come to oil and other products

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Either way, it's good oil. Havoline doesn't get much play here on BITOG. Much of that is because WalMart doesn't carry it and they don't advertise like some of the others do. Chevron is no slouch when it come to oil and other products

But I did get this from Wally World!

Well in Washington state I am sure it could be there. Here on the east coast it has not made an appearance yet.

Also you can get the Pro DS 0w-20 for $5.46 a qt at WM online or thru Jet.com which is the same thing. That price is not as competitive as the other brands in the more popular grades. Why no 5 quart jugs? Chevron is vague when asked that question.

This is that same quandary we discussed before bbhero. Availability and especially in the 5 quart jugs. They sell 10w-30 in the jug but the more popular 0w-20 or 5w-30 are just by quarts. That price that JJ got his for would be a knockout price for the popular grades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back