Epoxy or new boots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
theti354144_26969_jb.jpg

I have an old pair of 6" Timberlands that I retired after 3 years of work and then I adopted them to use for yardwork. They lasted another 2-3 years and the sole finally gave up the ghost. Looking for a comfortable lightweight 6" boot for yardwork.

However, I kinda would hate to take brand new boots and throw them out into dirty yardwork with dirt, grass, and weedeater debris spraying all over them so the other option would be to epoxy my old boots and maybe get a couple more years out of them.

Any recommendations on epoxy or boots?

Oh, and the boots were about $100 brand new.

your repair is only as good as the prep work:
-clean with alcohol
-rough a bit with sandpaper
-clean again, use some compressed air to blow all the dust/bits
-put the goo/flexible glue (epoxy dries too hard/not flexible)
-set it in place and put something heavy on top for 24 hours. make sure nothing shifts!

I used to think like that then I found myself with all these used boots. I figure they are work boots. Iam not wearing them out or on a date so now when they are shot, I pitch them and press the new boots into service and enjoy them that's what they were bought and made for.
Just a little of the old mindset left over before we realize we are in a disposable lifestyle now and we have to get rid or stuff to keep the world moving. Too many people to make things last I suppose.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I pitch them and press the new boots into service and enjoy them that's what they were bought and made for.
Just a little of the old mindset left over before we realize we are in a disposable lifestyle now and we have to get rid or stuff to keep the world moving. Too many people to make things last I suppose.

Thank you for making our landfills larger.

I found a local repair shop that only charges $60 for a new set of Vibram soles. My money stays within a mile of my house, my $250 Red Wings are back in service after a decade and the cobbler's craftsmanship is far above what I've been able to accomplish at home with Goop or Shoe Goo.

Have a looksee on Yelp or whatever other business finder you like. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Shoe goop works well or take them into a shoe maker, usually they can patch them back together or worst case put a new sole on them.

If they were a $25 pair I'd say pitch them, but it's a quality pair and it'd probably cost $30 to fix them, rather spend $30 than $100.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Nothing works better than black windshield urethane adhesive.

Interesting.... Ill have to try that!

I had heard barge cement...

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I pitch them and press the new boots into service and enjoy them that's what they were bought and made for.

Thank you for making our landfills larger.

Not putting anything back in the mother Earth that didn't come from the Mother Earth.
Got keep people working, making stuff to use up.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
What do your current work boots look like, time for new work boots and press the current ones into yard service?

For heavier work I have had some rw 2401s for a few years... Still love them and they are still nice for work. Too nice to retire to the yard yet but I know they are certainly tough enough for the job (these are cemented soles unfortunately cannot be replaced). For light work I have a pair of Iron Rangers.

I wouldnt bring my old busted timberlands to the shop and spend $60 to repair them with new soles, they are just not worth it for $100 brand new. I think I might try the goo because I'm cheap and like reusing stuff.

I have had moderate results using Goop as well as Shoe Goo in the past. For the price of a tube, to lengthen the life of some yard work kickers, not a bad option. Try to get the mating surfaces as clean as possible and really take some time and figure out a good clamping method. Should work for quite a while.

Not something I would rely on for duty boots or something where you can't afford a field failure.

Edit.... That said, I'm a sucker for new work boots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back