Have different oil brands always been the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that I mean if they were meeting API/ILSAC they were offering what all engines needed from them?

I recall years ago, many probably, when it seemed like there was night and day difference between oil brands. Where Pennzoil was a step up from QUaker Satte, and both were infinitely better than say SuperTech, but now it seems as if the biggest difference is marketing, especially if you're following manufacturer's requirements.

Even Ford tells me that using synthetic will offer my engine no more protection than using semi-synth, which you'd think, from a financial perspective, they'd tell it's customers that they should opt for that additional level of protection like the oil brands do.

So back to my original question, does anyone recall when it was that all the brands started offering pretty much the same everything (protection, etc.) that engines needed. I'd think maybe it was the late 90s perhaps.

It began when the SAE, for example, began stipulating grading requirements, which car makers referred to in their specifications. Supertech is held in pretty high regard on this site, those who bashed it did so out of ignorance.

Originally Posted By: AnarchyX

Even Ford tells me that using synthetic will offer my engine no more protection than using semi-synth, which you'd think, from a financial perspective, they'd tell it's customers that they should opt for that additional level of protection like the oil brands do.

I think the above statement really depends on the OCI and application. If you change every 5,000 miles and drive all highway in California, then sure, it won't really make any difference. If the variables change and you drive in harsher conditions (short trips for example) and go 15,000 miles, then it could be argued that the synthetic will make a difference.

The problem is that too many variables are involved to accurately prove one oil is better than the other. Driving conditions, engine condition, how hard the engine is on oil, engine oil capacity, etc, are all factors.

I will agree with the above that once SAE standards were established, companies had to meet them, which brought all of the products on a similar playing field. That isn't to say all the add-packs are the same, since some are better than others, but the minimum requirement is the same for all of them.

Late 90's is pretty accurate.

However, it was also at this time auto makers REALLY stepped up their game - CNC machined engine parts, better casting methods, etc.

I think it's two fold: Better oils and better made engines combined.

Some on here don't go with the long OCIs. For that crowd, which I am one, I would think that whatever oil used is going to work fantastic. Even those which are said to have a lesser add package. If you are changing it out more often the supposed lesser add pack doesn't really matter that much. That is my opinion anyway.

The add pacs for SL, SM, SN are all very robust. Interchangeable if using the proper viscosity going back to the early 2000's.

Imagine SI rated oil... People would now being saying I need some Uncle Si rated oil
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back