Another Subaru Coolant question....

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I replaced head gaskets and am looking for coolant for my 2002 Legacy and my local Subaru dealer no longer carries the Subaru coolant for the older models. I've done a ton of internet searches and have found 2 or 3 other brands recommended (Peak Global, Zerex Asian, Beck Arnley) but none of them are locally available (in concentrate)and I hate the idea of having to pay for shipping on something like this. I did find Zerex Asian locally but only in the 50/50 mix (which will cost about 80% more to do a complete re-fill since you have to buy 2 bottles!).
My (old) Subaru Long Life coolant (deep green) bottle spells out the ingredients; Ethylene Glycol, Diethylen Glycol, Soduim Benzoate and Potassium Hydroxide (and water, even though it is a concentrate). I see many other brands out there with the first two main ingredients and have to wonder if any of those will suffice (these are HOAT, if I understand correctly). I saw in a previous thread mention of Pep Boys OEM coolant and they do specifically mention it is OK for Subarus of this era. However, it also says it is borate-free. Is the missing borate something to worry about? I have a new bottle of Subaru Coolant conditioner that I may or may not use along with 6 Star MLS head gaskets.
At least I'm not too far from a Pep Boys...

Just use a short life "classic " coolant and change every 3 years ? That way no thinking about Hoat, Oat, old Goats and Moats.

I'm sure a long life coolant expert will chime in. I am NOT a self-proclaimed coolant "forum expert" on coolant.

Got any Hi-Fi questions instead?

I did replace the head gaskets on EJ253 engine on my 2006 Subaru Impreza about 2 years ago.
I just filled it up with Supertech coolant.

I used Peak Global in my 2001 Impreza but that was years ago. Research at the time said that was a decent alternative. Not sure what's changed since then.

I recommend PepBoys OEM brand Asian Concentrate, pick your tint, green available. All PB OEM tints the same. If no PB b&m store nearby PB@ebay has it currently for $17.67 delivered to your door. Not bad when you consider the premixes would have to be ~$9 to equal, and concentrate AF much easier to use/refill with system flush, and some distilled.

Other option Peak Global Lifetime Full Strength if you can find it available from local Napa. I'm using it in my Tacoma almost 4 years now.

Is the important thing the chemistry or the color? Because color means absolutely nothing.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Prestone Dexcool is good stuff and has a florescent orange color.

I wouldn't put DexCool in anything that doesn't specifically call for it.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

If you do change, get rid of as much of the old stuff as feasible.

Subaru EJ25s are actually quite easy to get everything out... the thermostats are on the bottom of the engine; so just pull the two bolts out of the housing, pull down, and stand back. This will drain everything in the radiator and engine block. Then be sure to change the thermostat and housing gasket with OEM. You can find both on eBay new for about $17, look for the seller 'barn find bernie'.

I have used both Peak Global (purchased from the local NAPA store) and the Zerex Asian 50/50 (from Walmart) in my Subaru over the years. The Peak Global worked fine for 200k+ miles and two changes. Presently after the last timing belt change I am using the Zerex Asian since it was easier to get and it seems to work fine so far.

With the already iffy head gaskets in the older EJ engines I would try to use an Asian POAT formula. Oh as someone else mentioned the EJ engines are very easy to flush out since the thermostat is the lowest point in the engine.

WB

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
....I wouldn't put DexCool in anything that doesn't specifically call for it.
+1

No reason imo to use Dex or universal clone containing 2eha with the many reasonably priced readily available aftermarket Asian PHOATs, premixes or PB OEM concentrate. Latter preferable to paying for half water. Walmart now sells Valvoline Asian vehicle same as ZAF but generally less expensive. However like ZAF, a premix only available in red/pink tint.

Thanks Guys. I would like to try the Zerex Asian but can only find it in 50/50. I think I'm going to go ahead and give the Pep Boys OEM stuff a try. The motor is dry inside now and I'm changing all hoses. I'll flush the heater core and rad and will be 99.9% clean....

Originally Posted By: Todari09
I did replace the head gaskets on EJ253 engine on my 2006 Subaru Impreza about 2 years ago.
I just filled it up with Supertech coolant.

i just use ST in my 99 OB . never had issues

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
I wouldn't put DexCool in anything that doesn't specifically call for it.

I buy it for the psychedelic color. Makes leaks super easy to find.

If you can't source the OEM coolant, I recommend Pentofrost A2 (available at AutoZone). Also, though others may disagree, I always add a bottle of the OEM Cooling System Conditioner.

We've had numerous EJ25-powered Subarus over the years including the current turbo with 167k miles, and all have had original head gaskets with no leaks.

I went to Pep Boys (Manchester, CT) and bought the last 2 gallons of OEM green. Got it for half price as it's being discontinued. Now they only sell a 'one size fits all' type.

Originally Posted By: MikeC5
I went to Pep Boys (Manchester, CT) and bought the last 2 gallons of OEM green. Got it for half price as it's being discontinued. Now they only sell a 'one size fits all' type.

Hopefully that discontinuance is store specific. I have noticed in the past that OEM AF is only available at limited b&m PB stores in this area, that hasn't changed.

In any case, 2 gallons of the full strength will be more than enough. And the price was right. In store sale price currently shows $14.90.

If typical 'universal type' replacement, a dexclone. Meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back