Subway pulls NASCAR sponsorship

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/subway-ends...-193621836.html

Pretty lame IMO. True both Subway and Dunkin serve breakfast, but I think they type of person that would get Dunkin would probably not be going to Subway for breakfast. I think Suarez is a great talent and even better marketing tool for a company.

I am not normally one to boycott, but Subway does suck especially since I have to pass a Jersey Mike's to get to one.

I think a lot of this has to do with fan attendance dying off in NASCAR. The advertising reach just isn't there anymore. Stands used to be packed full for every race. Now there are empty seats galore. Sponsors aren't going to pay for what isn't getting seen. A billboard is a lot cheaper, gets seen 24/7, and can't get wrecked.

Used to like Subways and then I just couldn't eat there without getting sick after. Tried it in FL, then tried it up here when I moved, same thing. Jimmy Johns is great, I think.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I think a lot of this has to do with fan attendance dying off in NASCAR. The advertising reach just isn't there anymore. Stands used to be packed full for every race. Now there are empty seats galore. Sponsors aren't going to pay for what isn't getting seen. A billboard is a lot cheaper, gets seen 24/7, and can't get wrecked.

I agree. I don't know anyone around my age who watches nascar.

I was never a fan, it's just not interesting enough.

Baseball and Nascar are slowly loosing audiences. TBH both are a bit boring IMO.

I'd love to see a few more WRC events in the U.S.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Baseball and Nascar are slowly loosing audiences. TBH both are a bit boring IMO.

I'd love to see a few more WRC events in the U.S.

Most sport's viewing numbers are in decline. NFL lost over 10% just last season. NASCAR leads the decline.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
NFL lost over 10% just last season.

A lot of that was over objection to the whole Kaepernick deal. I suspect it will pick up now that he's history.

NFL lost over 10% just last season.

A lot of that was over objection to the whole Kaepernick deal. I suspect it will pick up now that he's history.

It was declining before Kaepernick. His actions made bad matters worse.

Football will change too, Where I live all the youth football has steep declining numbers as a lot of parents simply wont let their kids play anymore.

Professional Flag Football anyone? I fully expect HS football to be a non contact sport in the near future.

It was declining before Kaepernick. His actions made bad matters worse.

NFL games still draw stadium filling crowds. Most teams have waiting lists for season tickets. NASCAR tracks have turned into ghost towns. Many are not even drawing 40% capacity at races. This is true in Indy Car as well. Look at the last race at California Speedway at Fontana. It was a ghost town. When that series premiered there you couldn't find a seat. The economy is hurting a lot of this. But NASCAR is suffering the worst. Their constant messing with how the races are run isn't helping. Most don't even understand how this whole silly "playoff" thing works. And these endless "stages" are ridiculous. Nothing in racing is more boring than a yellow flag. It seems the more they try to change it, the worse it gets.

Football will change too,.......Professional Flag Football anyone? I fully expect HS football to be a non contact sport in the near future.

That will never happen at the college or pro level. If it did you can take a shovel to the NFL.

Football will change too,.......Professional Flag Football anyone? I fully expect HS football to be a non contact sport in the near future.

That will never happen at the college or pro level. If it did you can take a shovel to the NFL.
High school and College Football are taxpayer subsidized farm systems for the non profit NFL.

Great posts Shoz and billt.

Going back to NASCAR race attendance... There have been races this yr that were poorly attended. And yet there have been a decent amount of others that were very well attended. Richmond was poor which has been declining for the past several yrs. I feel there more than meets the eye when it comes to race attendance. Why have some done very well while others are dogs?? Dover has been terrible in attendance for a long time. While Pocono has always been quite good. Indianapolis has been declining since the tire debacle in 2008 which coincided with a big economic down turn. People also figured out that 3k pound cars can't hardly race there. Plus... Tracks at Kentucky, Chicago and Kansas City all have helped take fans away from that track as well. Here's my plan (that will never happen obviously) to get NASCAR back to what it should or could be...

#1. Get rid of races at Indianapolis, 1 race at Chicago, 1 race at Dover, 1 race at Kentucky, 1 race at KC, 1 race at New Hampshire.

#2. Replace these dog races with races at... North Wilksboro, Rockingham, Hickory NC, Winchester Va, South Boston Va or Lakeland Florida. Get back to what built NASCAR to begin with.... Get back to basics. These race tracks helped make NASCAR what it could be. Then NASCAR become "too big or too good" for these tracks. They forgot what made NASCAR good. Then they walked away and built "better tracks" in stupid places. Time to get back to basics. Smaller tracks, more interaction with the fans, no charging extra money for a pit pass garbage either. No room for their stupid massive motor homes... Get out and be personable. It used to be quite easy for the fans to meet and interact with the drivers. Walk right up in the garage area and shake hands with them. This started to go away in the 90s and only got worse after that. Get back to basics. Guys, when someone or a large corporation forgets where they came from the fall is not far behind.

The Jared Fogle saga rocked Subway to its core,and it hasn't recovered since.Its $5.99 foot longs now,not $5.00 and they are still losing money.

A bit off topic, but I'd have to be a bit desperate to eat at subway. I can confess to doing it once, and it is not something I remember fondly.

And call me slow if you wish, but as a very casual Nascar watcher I don't understand the "Playoffs" one bit.

Originally Posted By: bbhero

#1. Get rid of races at Indianapolis, 1 race at Chicago, 1 race at Dover, 1 race at Kentucky, 1 race at KC, 1 race at New Hampshire.

#2. Replace these dog races with races at... North Wilksboro, Rockingham, Hickory NC, Winchester Va, South Boston Va or Lakeland Florida. Get back to what built NASCAR to begin with.... Get back to basics.

In other words get the races back in the south where they belong!? And while they're at it call it Winston Cup like it was back in the heyday.

Winston sponsored both NHRA and NASCAR for years. Now I can't even keep track of all the sponsors they've both been through. It's like a revolving door. No financial stability at all.

Lots of Americans can't (won't) spend $100+ per person to go watch a NASCAR race, plus hotel and travel.

Let's face it, the big names are all retired or retiring and many have lost interest in watching, silly rules also caused people to loose interest.

They need to get back to racing the cars you and I drive on the street. If your car is a front wheel drive and you race that car in NASCAR it should have to be a front wheel drive.

Having said that I'll watch NASCAR any day over the NFL!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back