Exxon Mobil Mobilgard M50 Diesel Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Anyone familiar with this oil? There is an oil additive that is supposedly based on its add package. Their point is shipping containers run 2.4 million miles on this stuff and they market it for adding to automobiles. It has [high base calcium sulfonate Ester additive...along with long endurance phenols and viscosity improvers].

Don't want to start an additive fight, just curious if anyone is familiar with the chemistry in the Mobilgard M50 Diesel Oil. Thanks.

Additives are just a portion of it's suitability....

Is it a straight 50? What about HTHS?

Those huge, monstrous ship engines don't share a lot of operating parameters with my daily driver.

Yes, that is what I figured (Learning on here!)
smile.gif
Thought it was interesting to transpose this into an automobile additive package. More curiosity than anything else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Yes, that is what I figured (Learning on here!)
smile.gif
Thought it was interesting to transpose this into an automobile additive package. More curiosity than anything else.

We are ALL learning. I was just having fun.

No worries ArcticDriver. Picture made me laugh...thanks for the chuckle.

Marine oils like MobilGard or Castrol MHP tend to have at least a TBN of 15 - those massive engines need heavy doses of additives and tolerate low grade fuels etc - not ready to try in my ecoboost ...

TBN of 50. Blows my mind. We think 12 is high when discussing automotive oils.
Viscosity is in the 40 range, so that's not so weird.
Pour point of -6C, and ash of 6.5 removes it from consideration for use in highway vehicles.

Most marine lubrication systems use "towel" filters (older systems). That is a chest of about 50 gallons capacity that contains racks of towels laid over hanger rods, like a towel over a wall rod. Lid is closed down and the oil flows through maybe 50 towels. These are switched out at 200~400 hour intervals. They then get sent through a solvent cleaning and a laundry cycle to be put back in service.

Late model modern systems use a series of cleanable "K&N" style cartridge filters that can be cleaned too. Very few use a throw away cartridge filter. Some have paper roll by-pass filters similar to the Franz filters, but about 100 times the size.

Lube oil pumps are often not part of the main engine. They are separate pumps driven by another power source. Sometimes their own engines. Sometimes electric. They are somewhat variable speed and they are driven to keep constant flow to the main engines at constant pressure. The lube tanks have cooling water heat exchangers built in. Oil conditions are controlled as to viscosity and temp before being sent to the main engines.

Oil is changed out based on chemistry and analysis. Most engineers can do pH and other basic measure of oil conditions right on the ship. We are talking 500 to 2,000 gallons of lube oil, depending on ships configuration. Not a cheap oil change
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back