Ford 5.4 Oil Sending Unit leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Expedition with the 5.4 Triton V8. The oil sending unit was not functioning properly and would occasionally not give a reading causing the gauge to drop and light to come on when the vehicle has proper oil pressure. After putting thread tape around the new sensor and installing it until snug without over tightening, when starting the car it leaks like crazy, just pours oil out. After taking a look, it looks like the old one might have had RTV around it....perhaps the previous owner has replaced this part before. Is there any harm in throwing a bunch of RTV around the sensor, or does the entire oil filter housing need to be replaced?

It may be a defective new part, that would be nothing unusual today. If the replacement leaks you might be dealing with a cracked housing if the previous owner was ham fisted. Don't RTV the thing fix it properly, when these things let go they can spew a lot of oil fast and thats not too cool driving down the road, RTV wont prevent it.

FIRST - - - what brand (and country of origin) is the sending unit from?

SECOND - there "should" have been a coating of very stiff (not easily pliable) thread coating on the threads already.

Sounds to me like you installed an inferior sending unit.

The replacement sending unit was a Borg Warner that leaked when installed. Thinking it was a defective part, I went to install the original one and after doing that, had the same leak. Leads me to believe there is an issue with the housing. Looks like a beast to replace the housing on this thing.....There is another issue with this vehicle where it goes through PCM relays about every 6-12 months. Is it even worth putting money into at this point? It has 161,000 miles, in overall good shape, but it is 17 years old and only lightly used as a vehicle to pull a popup camper.

Sending units need to pick up ground from the engine block unless they are very special two wire units. Coating the threads with an insulating material might give you trouble. The units are cheap enough, just change it. The Japanese senders seem to be more reliable than those in many European cars.

Originally Posted By: carguy996
There is another issue with this vehicle where it goes through PCM relays about every 6-12 months. Is it even worth putting money into at this point? It has 161,000 miles, in overall good shape, but it is 17 years old and only lightly used as a vehicle to pull a popup camper.

Only you can make that decision. I'm sure there's a relatively easy fix.

Relays & fuses are free at the local "pick-n-pull" wrecking yard, as long as you buy something else.
I always fill my pockets full.

Originally Posted By: meep
hairline crack in the port it screws into?

It's certainly possible. I have fixed cracks in aluminum threads with good epoxy like JB Weld (or 3M - much better) butt it takes a lot of carb cleaner to get the crack and threads super clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back