Fram PH7317 Orange Can cut open, pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
This PH7317 is from my 2013 Honda Civic 1.8 liter, 50,128 miles on the odometer and about 4,920 miles on the filter and OCI. The filter looks great to me, no tears in the media or adbv, the pleats were straight and pretty well evenly spaced and in excellent condition. The end caps were still very securely attached to the media. I found no problems at all with the filter and installed another PH7317 on my oil change today. The PH7317 is a good filter and works just fine for me.

Date code, made at the Greenville, Ohio plant on Jan. 22, 2017.

All components disassembled. The can on this Fram was a good thick gauge steel and hard to cut with tin snips. That is why I butchered the can when I cut it open.

ADBV was still very soft and pliable. There was not a nick or indentation or cut anywhere on it.

Nice even pleat spacing. Media seam was 100% intact. No tears or loose media at all.

Round holes, not louvers in the center tube.

I like the concave structure of the base plate, it is nearly identical to the OEM Honda filter base plate. I would think the base plate design would result in better oil flow in the filter. I also like the larger inlet holes.

It still held some oil after draining for an hour:

Looks great! ... Only filter my father ever used for as long as I can remember and he always gets 300,000 out of his cars.

I think someone on here said that the orange can Fram was getting upgraded to a silicon ADV? Can someone confirm this?

Quote:
it is nearly identical to the OEM Honda filter base plate.

That's because it is identical. The Honda A02 is made by FRAM.

Thanks for the C&P. The filter looks great.

Looks great. This looks like a Fram Tough Guard, honestly. I wonder if they're improving the media. For the price, this isn't a bad deal at all.

The actual filter element itself looks 1000% Better than the filters Fram was making 15-20 years ago.

I recently cut and inspected a PH10575 off my F150 and it looked exactly like the filter posted here. It was used for 5600 miles but looked like a new filter that had been dipped in some used oil. Every pleat was straight up and down without a hint of stress showing.

No problem there
Thanks for the pictures.
I don't see the value in these but if you're happy so are we!

This Fram baseplate is different than the one shown in thread below, much wider land for the adbv seal to base. The inlet holes go nowhere near past the crown of the sealing area like the other one. Good pleats too, looks like all good, a nice budget choice filter for that car. I guess the Honda Fram is not much more money though, if any more.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4499635/Re:_VIRGIN_FRAM_TG8A_CUT_OPEN#Post4499635

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I think someone on here said that the orange can Fram was getting upgraded to a silicon ADV? Can someone confirm this?

Yes sir they are. Motorking (the Fram rep here) posted this a while back. Can't remember exactly when.

The orange cans should be getting the silicone upgrade soon. Which could mean.... Drum roll please.. orange cans for $1.50 or cheaper at Wally World.

The silicone OCOD is already on sale. I have spotted them at Walmart
smile.gif

Anyway, thank you for the cut and post
thumbsup2.gif

For real?? That's good to hear. I was going to say October was the roll out date Motorking said earlier this year but I didn't want to be that Pacific and be wrong
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back