Horrible Accident at Australian Drag Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-41144129

This made me think of my youth and how my dad liked to take to me the Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove, WI (SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY)...until an engine exploded on a day we weren't there and killed some folks in the crowd. That was the end of watching drag racing for us, on dad's order.

I hope all those injured at Alice Springs heal up as quickly as possible.

"Fire Burnouts" were a short lived fad at many drag strips here back in the 70's. Especially as a gimmick at local tracks at night, that were trying to get attendance figures up. They were quickly outlawed because of fires, along with other unintended consequences. The least of which were asphalt track damage, (from the fuel eating into the track, not the fire itself), along with people getting burning fluid sprayed on them from spinning tires slinging it everywhere. It was one of those, "Here, hold my beer", ideas that thankfully went away quickly. However it appears to be something they have yet to learn, "down under".

I don't know the back story, but I doubt it was intentional. Most likely the car developed a fuel leak, with unfortunate results. Best wishes to those injured.

To the OP, that's why there is a disclaimer on every ticket and entrance to the racetrack at all NHRA events. I recall the first Fuel Team I worked on, had an engine explosion at Firebird Raceway (now Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park). A chunk of the blower case hit a fan up in the stands. He tried to sue the team and the NHRA. He was unsuccessful because it was determined there was adequate warning of possible serious injury or death, just being on the premises.

There have been deaths of participants and spectators from mishaps on the track, too.

All Motorsports have an element of risk for participants and spectators alike.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I don't know the back story, but I doubt it was intentional. Most likely the car developed a fuel leak, with unfortunate results. Best wishes to those injured.

To the OP, that's why there is a disclaimer on every ticket and entrance to the racetrack at all NHRA events. I recall the first Fuel Team I worked on, had an engine explosion at Firebird Raceway (now Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park). A chunk of the blower case hit a fan up in the stands. He tried to sue the team and the NHRA. He was unsuccessful because it was determined there was adequate warning of possible serious injury or death, just being on the premises.

There have been deaths of participants and spectators from mishaps on the track, too.

All Motorsports have an element of risk for participants and spectators alike.

Oh yeah, I agree that everybody should realize there is danger involved to drivers, spectators, crew members, etc. I think my dad felt it was DANGEROUS after reading about fans being killed at our local strip, not just dangerous. Honestly, it was probably more DANGEROUS to schlep up to WI and back from the Chicagoland Area in the falling apart cars we had at the time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back