How to get rust off and keep it off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked at one of my shotguns yesterday and it has a couple of tiny rust spots. Can I use very fine steel wool or what would you suggest?

Also, what is the best coating for stored guns to keep them from rusting.

Thanks a ton!

I store my guns in a gun safe and have both a heating rod and two containers that I keep filled with dessicant. I replace the dessicant every few months as it becomes exhausted. I also rub G-96 into my gun's metal surfaces and in over 50 years, I have yet to have rust.

CLP (G36 or Breakfree) protect against rust very well.

I assume your shotgun is blued. Bluing is probably the least protective finish. Parkerizing is much more rust resistant and paint applied over parkerized steel is about the best.

BSW

CLP makes a gun oil/coat called (Collector) it is supposed to be the best or one of the best.

Here in Arizona rust is not an issue we have to deal with. Except for those who run evaporative coolers. Back when I lived in Illinois, the relative humidity was much higher. I used to keep 2 or 3 cakes of Camphor in my gun safes and cabinets. It's an old trick machinists used to keep their tools from rusting. It gives off an odor similar to Vick's Vapor Rub. I never experienced any rust using it. I used to buy it at the local pharmacy for around .25 cents a cake. (They were about 2 inches square, and about a half an inch thick, and came wrapped in cellophane). I don't know if they even carry it any more. It had to be replaced as it evaporated. Usually about every 3 or 4 months.

I use an old brass / bronze cleaning brus & Hoppies to remove surface rust . Brass / bronze will not harm steel or blueing . Hoppies & a rag , to scrubb off the ' copper " marks .

Gun oil for short term . You can use grease or wax for longer term storage .

Best of luck , :)

Getting rust off and keeping it off are two very different things.

To get rust off, apply almost any type of oil (but a CLP type oil works well) to the rusted area. Then rub lightly with 000 or 0000 steel or bronze wool until all the rust is gone. To finish wipe all of the residue off and re-treat the metal.

To keep the rust off, you need a good rust preventative. Most general purpose lubricants, gun oils and CLP type products do a poor job of rust prevention. My favorite products are Corrosion-X, Eezox and fluid film in that order. Corrosion-X is awesome because it is an amazing lubricant as well as an excellent rust preventative. Eezox is a dry lubricant type product and fluid film is an easy to find (Lowes, Autozone, & Napa), lanolin based rust preventative, non stick and light lubricant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back