Resonator replacement $?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, 12 years of salt has taken its toll on the resonator in my Lacrosse. It's leaking enough that you can feel it when placing your hand above it, and you can hear a "droning"/vibrating noise in the exhaust. It's particularly noticeable on cold starts. So, so I don't go to a shop with no knowledge (there isn't too much info on resonator replacement online, it's mostly about mufflers) what would you expect? The part is $50 and it looks easy to get to (just the welding)- is about an hour of labor fair? About $100-150? It's similar to/the same as the exhaust system used on Grand Prix and Impalas.

Walker makes SS ones. Resonators are not vehicle specific, being flow through designs. Get one that fits.

No doubt your original was SS. Makes me wonder about everything else in your undercarriage.

Last edited:
Local muffler shop around here would charge $30 labor if it's a bolt on plus the price of new bolts/nuts.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I wouldn't mess around cutting it out and welding just put a cat back system in.

+1. When you get a hole one place, the rest of the pipes won't be far behind.

Last edited:
If you are not going to DIY the project , Get a price from several shops .

BTW , we recently purchased a 2006 Lacrosse CX 3.8l with 37,000+ miles . Love it ! :)

Best wishes ,
Wyr
God bless

P S I HATE doing exhaust work !

resonators are just another name for mufflers. They are called resonators because they located before the rear muffler.

Walker mufflers are not straight throw designs (unless you get a glasspack), they are tube-chambered mufflers, that flows quiet well, very similar to their performance aftermarket dynomax super turbo mufflers

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Local muffler shop around here would charge $30 labor if it's a bolt on plus the price of new bolts/nuts.

I'd definitely hit up the local independent exhaust shop. The one with the best reputation around here charges a very small fee (relatively) for installing stuff if the customer supplies all the materials needed.

I'd be concerned about the remaining life of the pipe ahead of the resonator. If the resonator expired, I'll bet there's only another 1-2 years max left in the rest of the exhaust system.

Very true . How many miles on the car ?

If this part is rust damaged , I recommend a very through corrosion inspection of the complete under side of the car .

Thankfully , I do not live in the rust / salt belt . It has been a long time since I have had to replace an exhaust component on one of our cars .

Best wishes , :)

It's a fair question to ask about rust on the rest of the car. But don't assume the worst. Exhaust systems handle much more water inside, plus condensation from heat/cool cycles, so they tend to rust out faster than everything else. They also don't get rustproofing or paint, because it would just cook off.

I just did mine on our 2010 impala. I would not do it again unless I had a lift and a torch. I had to cut the front bolts off because of rust, there is almost zero room as that's where GM put the front hanger location for that section of pipe. Had to get creative with a small diameter cutoff wheel, that's all that will fit to cut the top bolt off. Took me a good 3 hours. I ended up just replacing the muffler too, so cat back with the Walker stainless steel (muffler was stainless, pipe didn't seem to be) kit. I think the shop wanted $275 to do just the resonator.

The Walker kit was really nice for the money. I think it was $160 for the resonator/mid pipe, Stainless muffler and all the rubber hangers, clamps and gaskets etc. It's a little louder than stock but sounds good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back