2018 Audi S4 requires 0W-20 oil! And used 5W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Guys

Found something strange on my B9 S4, it has a new 3.0 Turbo engine which happens to be "B-Cycle" or "Miller Cycle" and it requires a LongLife IV Full Synthetic Engine Oil (0w-20) from Castrol with is the new VAG 508 00 rating... Well due to misinformation from Audi official documents I poured 5w-40 Pennzoil Euro Ultra...

I drove it for one day and noticed about 10F less oil temperature and thats it... but since I learned you have to use the special Castrol oil I stopped using the car and am currently waiting to get a hold of that oil...

Question is should I change it or leave it? Could adding a 5w-40 weight cause any damage when a "special" 0w-20 is required?

Thanks!
JC

Last edited:
It says right in your screen snip that the engine was designed for 0W-20 AND VW 504 oil.

VW 504 is typically has an HTHS of around 3.5 and is mid SAPS.

I would keep using the 5W-40.

It'll probably make it feel sluggish compared to the 0W20 but it probably won't hurt anything. I'd change it back to the proper oil asap.

It says the system is is rated for 0w20 and VW 504 00.

So long as that's not a typo, and the oil you put in meets VW 504 00, you are ok to drive your car.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
It says the system is is rated for 0w20 and VW 504 00.

So long as that's not a typo, and the oil you put in meets VW 504 00, you are ok to drive your car.

Or even if it meets 502... Because he doesn't have a particulate filter, and has no need for a mid or low SAPS oil.

Personally, I would change it if it calls for a 5w-20 oil. I've been using Pennzoil Ultra 5w-40 Euro in my Golf and like other oils of this grade is a thick oil. Just recently did an oil change and used 50/50 mix of 5w-30/40 Pennzoil Euro oils. The 5w-30 is noticeably thinner oil. My Golf's mighty 2.5L revs quicker w/this blend. I would used the 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum Euro is you want to used this brand. Safe and happy motoring w/your Audi....Bill.

Is that an oxymoron or maybe it just means either? VW504 is HTHS > 3.5 and I don't know of any 0W20 that have such a high HTHS.

Perhaps it's more so for mid-low saps. I vote that it will be fine as the 504 spec is basically only attained by euro style 30 grades and 40 grades last time I checked.

EDIT: Apparently yes, there's a castrol 0W20 that meets the 508 spec. So it must have HTHS of over 3.5, which is surprising. TBN has to be equal to or over 11 which means it's also a long life oil.

Here's a thread I googled https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4235130/1

Last edited:
So with that info, I'd be going with these options:

1. Keep current oil, as it meets HTHS spec and is long life. Only fails at fuel economy
2. Switch to the exact castrol long life 0W20 with the VW508 spec

I'd definitely opt for option 1 over any advice to run any 20 grade. Running any ordinary 20 will be far worse than keeping what you have because it will fail in two ways. First it will have a lesser TBN, and running it long could cause issues. Second, it's HTHS is too low and will get the [censored] beaten out of it by this engine. Typical HTHS of standard 20 grades is under 3.0, unless it's something like Redline, but I don't think Redline have any of the required approvals.

Last edited:
Rest assured that Audi will go after denying a warranty claim of any kind with all the expertise they can bring especially if it's expensive. And any time you even touch an Audi engine, running gear or the electrical system it will be expensive. Don't take the slightest chance no matter how remote of giving Audi an out if there's a problem. Change the oil and keep good records of everything concerning your car. Lose anything to do with that other oil. I absolutely did not hurt anything and it's possible that it's the better choice for your car just not the required oil.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Rest assured that Audi will go after denying a warranty claim of any kind with all the expertise they can bring especially if it's expensive. And any time you even touch an Audi engine, running gear or the electrical system it will be expensive. Don't take the slightest chance no matter how remote of giving Audi an out if there's a problem. Change the oil and keep good records of everything concerning your car. Lose anything to do with that other oil. I absolutely did not hurt anything and it's possible that it's the better choice for your car just not the required oil.

Very well said.

Keep in mind that Audi is in the VAG that's Volkswagen Audi Group of vehicles and they are rather famous for warranty shenanigans, up to and including denying repairs of Check Engine Lights on in brand new cars sitting on the showroom floor.

Don't give them anything they can use.

It wouldn't hurt, and probably is beneficial in the warmer climate. But I wouldn't take the risk. Especially with how some of those engines have crazy timing setups that needs to be replaced all the time. I could see them denying a timing chain replacement because you used the "wrong" oil.

Originally Posted By: plaguef
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Very well said.

Keep in mind that Audi is in the VAG that's Volkswagen Audi Group of vehicles and they are rather famous for warranty shenanigans, up to and including denying repairs of Check Engine Lights on in brand new cars sitting on the showroom floor.

Don't give them anything they can use.

:eyeroll:

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
It'll probably make it feel sluggish compared to the 0W-20

I seriously doubt that would happen.

There are several options for VAG-508, including Mobil 1 ESP x2 0W-20.

Available online at Walmart.

When I bought an A4 17 years ago, the 502 spec requirement came out after the car was built.

My owners manual was wrong, and I found out about the 502 spec and over sized filters when visiting the dealers parts department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back