Student Driver just took YEARS off my motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Victim: 2013 Toyota Camry 60k 2AR-FE And this happens JUST PAST WARRANTY!
Clueless Perpetrator: 15 1/2 year old family member student driver

Events: 70F cold start after 48 hours sitting, mistakes gas pedal for brake, starts car with gas to the floor, motor fliiiiies up to around 5,000 RPM then foot quickly pulled off accelerator. All of this occurred in park with no load.

Observation: I was outside the car as another family adult was in the passenger seat about to do the tutoring session. I observed blue smoke on deceleration ( as it dropped down from the initial startup rev to 5,000+) it was thick blue oil smelling smoke.

In a nutshell that motor she screamed on startup amd then free floated down.

Obviously you can't really do much worse other than draining the oil and starting it or doing it at 0F. So pretty much not good.
Your thoughts? Will she knock on startup? Scored cylinders... oil consumption to start soon? Spun bearing? VVti timing chain stretch?

None of the above.

That car has throttle by wire and a neutral rev limiter, probably 4k rpm. And it did this with no load.

Fine, fine, fine.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
None of the above.

That car has throttle by wire and a neutral rev limiter, probably 4k rpm. And it did this with no load.

Fine, fine, fine.

I heard Toyotas don't like high rev no load. Vvti or something.

It was real BLUE smoke on the deceleration/derevving. Like an old 1974 Ford Torino wagon with 150k on it. Horrible blue.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Is this some late night humor or are you really serious?

Just being the usual drama queen that he is.

You serious? Nothing was hurt - guaranteed this car had worse probably on delivery to you or around the dealer's lot. Guaranteed it never hit 5k either. The computer limits revs in park to about 4k to protect the torque converter.

Cars are not these fragile little things we like to make them out to be. They are quite robust machines, BITOG folklore aside.

You are worried about the wrong engine parts. If anything, the valve guides and valve stem seals lived one or three of their nine lives. I doubt any harm was done.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08
You serious? Nothing was hurt - guaranteed this car had worse probably on delivery to you or around the dealer's lot. Guaranteed it never hit 5k either. The computer limits revs in park to about 4k to protect the torque converter.

Cars are not these fragile little things we like to make them out to be. They are quite robust machines, BITOG folklore aside.

Than why are we on here worrying about what oil for?

If you change the oil the used oil will contaminate all the waste oil. It will need to be contained and disposed of in an appropriate manner.

I have a neighbor who does this every time he starts his vehicle. Says it gets oil flowing faster. Can't reason with him. His vehicles last 100,000 + miles and he sells them running good. Ed

What guys worry about on BITOG

1) MAYBE my (new car) dealer is incompetent

2) Maybe a teenager ruined my motor

3) Maybe the guy next to me on the Interstate will have Chinese tires

Unbelievable......

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: itguy08

Than why are we on here worrying about what oil for?

I'm not - I use what I like and seem to get good life, change according to the mfg's schedule and get great life from my vehicles. I don't overthink it.

Originally Posted By: CKN
What guys worry about on BITOG

1) MAYBE my (new car) dealer is incompetent

2) Maybe a teenager ruined my motor

3) Maybe the guy next to me on the Interstate will have Chinese tires

Unbelievable......

And some are just looking for attention.

That is something I would avoid doing for sure, but I doubt anything was seriously damaged.

My dad bought a 1984 Caravan in the late 80s with the 2.2L and a 5 speed. The original owner had done this when the van was new, although I think they claimed the throttle was frozen open. (From when I remember about that pos, I believe it.) The difference was it was winter. Very cold oil.

The local dealership replaced the bearings under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back