Spark plugs for the motorcycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning to replace the spark plugs on my motorcycle, because they seem to be gone:

Do they tell anything about health of the engine? Also, should I go Iridium or double iridium?

It's for regular street riding. Thanks for the advice and suggestions
thumbsup2.gif

Get a new set of plugs with the correct gap and then see what the plugs look like after a few days riding to see if you may need a different heat range and if the engine has any issues. The present one looks a little on the cold side but if not ridden a lot lately hard to judge.

Those plugs look fouled. Iridium plugs tend to resist fouling. If it were mine I would change to one grade hotter and go with iridium or double iridium.

I had a 175 2 cycle that we use to run mixed gas. It would foul the plug in only a couple of days of riding. After a couple of years of replacing plugs I put an iridium plug in it and it never fouled that plug. That plug was still in it when I sold it years later.

I go with either OEM fit (NGK or Denso), or switch to Denso Iridium Power on all my bikes, feeling the performance difference on the small engines ones.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Get a new set of plugs with the correct gap and then see what the plugs look like after a few days riding to see if you may need a different heat range and if the engine has any issues. The present one looks a little on the cold side but if not ridden a lot lately hard to judge.

Yes, bike has been sitting for a bit and I would say last time it was rode probably, a few months ago!

I am definitely leaning towards Iridium ones, double Iridium maybe too expensive!

Does anyone has an AAP code?

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
Standard NGK is my preference
This ^^^^

You don't even prefer Iridium ones? Because FZ1's love to be ridden and can do many many miles!
smile.gif

You're right, those plugs are done. If you are riding fairly gently, no long stretches at high speeds, no extreme temperatures, no heavy loads, then the color on those plugs doesn't look that bad at all. It's important to remember that as they wear (and those are worn), then the quality of the spark and the quality of the ignition sequence as it relates to the function of the plug changes a little bit, too.

Yes, plug condition tells much about engine health, I'd say yours is pretty good, although I might change plugs a little more often. It's helpful to know how you're riding, if this is gentle riding around town, the ignition timing, fuel/air mixture, and engine condition appear to be normal. If this was removed immediately after a few miles at highway speeds, I'd say change your air filter, too, and check it again.

Go with any plug that interests you and check it after a few hundred miles, see how it looks.

Most importantly, pay attention to how you gap the plug. It's best to use the special tool for setting the gap, it bends the ground electrode without touching the center electrode. Don't attempt to set the gap by inserting anything between the center electrode and the ground electrode and prying, you can do a lot of damage to the plug and possibly your engine.

If it were me, I'd install NGK CR9EIX.

I'm running the same plugs in my heavily modified bike. They fire reliably, even at the very high cylinder pressures in my application.

Last edited:
I put Iridium sparkplugs in my Polaris 700 last time just because they are a nightmare to change and probably never be changed again-ever.
If they were easy to change I would just use NGK Copper plugs. I really noticed no performance gain.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
I am planning to replace the spark plugs on my motorcycle, because they seem to be gone:

Do they tell anything about health of the engine? Also, should I go Iridium or double iridium?

It's for regular street riding. Thanks for the advice and suggestions
thumbsup2.gif

I do not think the plug is gone, but the gap looks wide. It looks like cold plug as used in race engine where the electrode does not project much higher like the typical plug on standard engine.
To double confirm you can find what is the model number and check on the manufacturer label to decode.

Iridium is the way to go for easier startup and lasts longer, i find NGX IX is slightly colder plug compared to Denso Iridium for the same number of heat index.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Surprise Champion copper plugs haven't been recommended by anyone. That's my favorite plug for any small engine.

My experience, Champion copper plug is very good only for short distance. After 1k the performance typically degrade noticeably, their iridium plug is good though, but with other brands create small twin tip model, they can't compete with those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back