DEX VI fluid in a toyota A340e auto trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 1989 JDM Toyota Soarer. Its a inline 6cyl engine, RWD car.
It comes with the a340e auto transmission. Has any of you ever owned a car or still owns one that uses this transmission?
If you do, since the manuals call for DEX II or III, have you tried DEX VI in this trans, and will it do any damage ?

Last edited:
Are you open to other options?

I've used Valvoline Maxlife LV fluid in a a340e (2002 tundra) It seems to do well.

I suspect the original Dexron fluid was significantly sheared down since shifting greatly improved after the fluid swap.

My Toyota Tundra is one of the last trucks to still have the A340 transmission and is currently running Valvoline Dexron VI full syn with no issues.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Are you open to other options?

I've used Valvoline Maxlife LV fluid in a a340e (2002 tundra) It seems to do well.

I suspect the original Dexron fluid was significantly sheared down since shifting greatly improved after the fluid swap.

oh yes, I am not familiar with Auto trans fluid, as I have only owned a M/T car for the last 20 years. Its all new to me. Thanks for the tip.

You can run Dex VI with out undue harm. But I feel they run better with DexIII.

The Dex VI is thinner, and more highly friction-modified than earlier transmissions were designed to work with. I have run Dex VI and Maxlife in that generation of transmissions, but have switched back to using a DexIII type thickness fluid and get better results. I don't know what products you have access to in your market, but in these transmissions I really am now like the Castrol Transmax High Mileage for DexII, DexIII, and Toyota IV applications.

I run Dex VI in my Jeep version of that transmission. Definitely the best shift quality I've had out of running various fluids in it.

Yep Maxlife or Dex VI will both be fine. Which ever is easier to find/or you have run it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back