Never change your oil filter again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lot's of marketing lies in that article about oil filters (ie, most filters are in bypass 90% of the time).

This is just another fine metal mesh oil filter that needs to be cleaned on a regular schedule.

"... and it improves any car’s fuel efficiency by a minimum of 2%, according to Whipsaw."

I'd like to see the test data on that claim.

I do agree that used oil filters are a potential danger to the environment because of how they are disposed.

Has there ever been a permanent/cleanable oil filter that has ever caught on?

One comment that caught my eye on their Website was the claim that there is metal on metal contact on start up until oil reaches the top of your engine. The oil in my engines clings to the metal parts and is there for the next start up. If there was any amount of metal to metal contact I'm not sure the starter develops enough torque to turn the engine over or at least not fast enough to start the engine. And what would happen the second or third or fourth time you started your engine.

If you run two filters on a remote filter mount would the MPGs increase then double?

I'd love to see an engine go say 300k on one oil filter without a single problem, then I'll believe in a "lifetime" oil filter, but, I don't see how it could work!

Originally Posted By: CB900F2
I emailed them and ask them for real world application data.. lets see what they say..

Make sure they send you standardized laboratory test data, anything else is bound to be worthless.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
I'd love to see an engine go say 300k on one oil filter without a single problem, then I'll believe in a "lifetime" oil filter, but, I don't see how it could work!

This is a typical fine metal mesh filter, many like this one on the market - probably filters down to 40~50 microns. Still have to remove it and clean it on a regular basis. Not meant to be left on forever without cleaning.

Do regular filters actually run in bypass as much as they claim? Seems like an outrageous claim...

Originally Posted By: VetteElite
Do regular filters actually run in bypass as much as they claim? Seems like an outrageous claim...

No they don't, as shown with info in this thread.

LINK

Originally Posted By: VetteElite
I' bet every time you start the car or when the oil is cold.

One member boxcartommie swears by the reusable stainless steel filters, S&S/K&P? No matter how great they may (or may not) be, not for me as I don't need or want another item to maintain/clean. However, I do enjoy reading his enthusiasm for the product, in my observation he's generally good natured about it too.

To each their own.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
One member boxcartommie swears by the reusable stainless steel filters, S&S/K&P? No matter how great they may (or may not) be, not for me as I don't need or want another item to maintain/clean. However, I do enjoy reading his enthusiasm for the product, in my observation he's generally good natured about it too.

To each their own.

But honestly, someone "swearing" by an oil filter really means nothing. I could swear by the myriad of Denso, Honda and Hengst oil filters I've used on my old cars over the years but all that really means is that I've never identified an oil filter related failure from any of them. Other than that an oil filter is pretty much a black box that I swap out every time I change the oil. It's even quite likely that I would have had the same overall experience had the cans (and for the Hengst the box) been empty.

Quote:
....But honestly, someone "swearing" by an oil filter really means nothing....

Yes, as I'm well aware and was simply making conversation regarding one members use of and comments about his use of reusable filters. Many swear to other filters posted here that I wouldn't use either, however some much less congenial about them than boxcartommie.

One thing I left out and timed out before I could edit, is boxcar mentions this type filter mostly in association with and promotion of racing applications 'iirc'. Gary Allan (rip) used to say/post 'true' racing filters are basically sieves. One can draw whatever conclusion they like from that statement, I'm not saying these are.

Again, for many reasons not a filter I'd use.

Quote:
....But honestly, someone "swearing" by an oil filter really means nothing....

Yeah.....

"My type 1 VW Beetle engine has a piece of screen door screen for an "oil filter"

...and has been running perfectly for 2 years,

SO I SWEAR BY IT!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back