Jeep Liberty 3.7L owners - Should I be concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't found too many threads dealing with the Jeep Liberty 3.7L engine. I'm told there are some issues with overheating and "valve dropping" but that's about it. Any opinions on the 3.7L engine?

I'm looking at 2005-2008 models. I thought this vehicle would be able to tackle some light off-road and still be reliable.

Only concerns would be engine longevity as these vehicles have a 100K mileage average for those years. I wanted something with a timing chain vs. belt. Looked at a KIA Sorento (2006 model) as it's full frame but it's got a timing belt.

The Jeep seems like it would be easy to work on. Any wisdom would be appreciated! Thank you!

I have seen one 3.7 break a valve spring, drop a valve and break a piston. I don't like them in general.

Thanks AVB. I've read as long as they do NOT overheat, they shouldn't have an issue. Thanks for your input.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
They drop valve seats if overheated. Like a hose bursts or a radiator breaks and they keep driving it. Dont get them hot and they run a long time.

So, a positive vote. I do see more than few for sale around the 100-130k miles. A friend is still driving his at 160k.
Just worried I'd be asking for trouble with a Chrysler vehicle.

I don't think this one was run hot. I think the valve spring broke and they kept driving it until the keeper worked loose and the valve dropped. I am pretty sure that the valve seat was still intact on that one.

Last edited:
I have the 4.7L in my '06 Grand Cherokee.

I understand that the 3.7L is the 4.7L with 2 cylinders chopped off. I'm the original owner of my GC and am very happy with this motor so far at almost 151,000 miles as a daily driver, with no off-roading or towing. Motor was never opened for anything. I do as much maintenance as I can myself and it's not hard to work on since it has a decent amount of room for most maintenance/repairs. The 3.7 has even more room to work than the 4.7. Parts prices are reasonable too.

As has been said already, don't let it overheat or you'll drop valve seats.

I've used name brands of 5w-30 oil, dino or syn whatever I get a good deal on. OCI 5,000 miles max and a basic filter.

If you do buy it, check to see if the yellow wire to the starter motor has been replaced. They were not sealed properly at the factory and would suddenly cause a "no start" condition. Not expensive to replace but difficult to do on your back in your driveway.

Here's an older thread you might find helpful:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3627711/1

Have a buddy just replaced this motor in an 07 Wrangler. We were on way to baseball tourney stopped to get gas and it never turned over again. He hadn't had it but about a month so don't know history behind it. My only experience.

Originally Posted By: riklyn
Have a buddy just replaced this motor in an 07 Wrangler. We were on way to baseball tourney stopped to get gas and it never turned over again. He hadn't had it but about a month so don't know history behind it. My only experience.

I don't think the Wrangler ever got the 3.7

Originally Posted By: fcjeep

I understand that the 3.7L is the 4.7L with 2 cylinders chopped off. I'm the original owner of my GC and am very happy with this motor so far at almost 151,000 miles as a daily driver, with no off-roading or towing. Motor was never opened for anything. I do as much maintenance as I can myself and it's not hard to work on since it has a decent amount of room for most maintenance/repairs. The 3.7 has even more room to work than the 4.7. Parts prices are reasonable too.

I've used name brands of 5w-30 oil, dino or syn whatever I get a good deal on. OCI 5,000 miles max and a basic filter.

If you do buy it, check to see if the yellow wire to the starter motor has been replaced. They were not sealed properly at the factory and would suddenly cause a "no start" condition. Not expensive to replace but difficult to do on your back in your driveway.

Thank you for this! I appreciate the input. Is there a good way to tell if the engine was overheated in the past? Also... What type of coolant is everyone running? HOAT?

Originally Posted By: JGmazda

Thank you for this! I appreciate the input. Is there a good way to tell if the engine was overheated in the past? Also... What type of coolant is everyone running? HOAT?
if the radiator and hoses are original then its likely never been hot. Plus they blow head gaskets if overheated.

Last edited:
As far as coolant, Zerex G-05 and dealer coolant (make sure they give you the right stuff) is all I ever found available.

AFAIK power steering fluid is also a specific spec. No one has it except the dealer. $18 a qt I think last time I bought but you don't need it too often. I know about Mag-Moss but no one else has it as of last time I checked.

Checkout some of the Liberty forums.

02s had valvespring issues, otherwise they're great, just don't overheat them. Many have hit 300k without issues. Keep clean 5w30 of whatever you like in them.

PS fluid is ATF+4 for 03+, 02s had something weird but got back spec'd to ATF+4.

They're very easy to work on. Stock suspension is trash, was when new too so I replaced mine with Old Man Emu stuff and it rides as good as my LR3 and better than my new Cherokee. I have 167k on mine. Love it. The biggest issue was I did have to get the trans rebuilt last summer (failed TC), so make sure yours has a service history regarding the trans. Most people don't have an issue, but it's worth bringing up.
08+ is a different era, largely the same, just a little bigger and they went to a 5 link rear suspension and not 3. Electronic shift t case too.

incorrect the wrangler never had the 3.7

IIRC those had a 3.8L and it was the first year for that engine.. replacing the 4.0

We have an 08 Liberty since new and it has been a reliable problem free vehicle, so far. I have an old friend who owns a machine shop and I had asked him about the valve dropping problem a while back. He said as long as you don't grossly overheat them they're fine. Maintain the cooling system and you should be GTG.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Checkout some of the Liberty forums.
02s had valvespring issues, otherwise they're great, just don't overheat them. Many have hit 300k without issues. Keep clean 5w30 of whatever you like in them.
PS fluid is ATF+4 for 03+, 02s had something weird but got back spec'd to ATF+4.
They're very easy to work on. Stock suspension is trash, was when new too so I replaced mine with Old Man Emu stuff and it rides as good as my LR3 and better than my new Cherokee. I have 167k on mine. Love it. The biggest issue was I did have to get the trans rebuilt last summer (failed TC), so make sure yours has a service history regarding the trans. Most people don't have an issue, but it's worth bringing up. 08+ is a different era, largely the same, just a little bigger and they went to a 5 link rear suspension and not 3. Electronic shift t case too.

- Great information HoosierJeeper! What year do you own? What was the approximate cost of the transmission fix and is it a better transmission build? Also, can you tell me more about the suspension upgrade?

As far as coolant, Zerex G-05 and dealer coolant (make sure they give you the right stuff) is all I ever found available.
AFAIK power steering fluid is also a specific spec. No one has it except the dealer. $18 a qt I think last time I bought but you don't need it too often. I know about Mag-Moss but no one else has it as of last time I checked.

- Thanks fcJeep! Zerex G-05 is all I have used in my Mazda for some time. Good stuff! I will look into the power steering fluid.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I feel a bit better about the vehicle now. Do any of you think the '08 + years offer any benefits offer the older models?

Originally Posted By: dishdude

I don't think the Wrangler ever got the 3.7

You're right it didn't.

GF has an '08 with 125k. Solid engine/drivetrain for the most part, she's had a few niggling problems, front struts at 120k, a new cooling fan and an issue with the AC blend doors but otherwise it's been good to her.

The oil filter is an absolute BEAR to get to and you have to install the new one blind. (Use ramps, lay under the front with your head towards the rear, and reach up and around the rack and back for the filter access)

Oil note: the 3.7 was originally specified for 5w30 and later years were 5w20....I'm using 5w30 and she's getting around 21mpg highway.

A little short on headroom for me, but otherwise good to go.

Our 07 jeep liberty is running strong with 160000 miles on it. Daughter drives it. No engine issues. Traded our 04 grand Cherokee limited with 233000 miles last year with 4.7. one of the mechanics bought it for his daughter tp get her back and fourth to college. Still running strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back