Just picked up a 2007 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
This our first Subaru. Currently has 153k mi. Will be used for a little mixed driving. Mostly short trips from schools, errands, & maybe weekly long drives thru the foothills. What oil & filter would y'all recommend? I know 5W-30 is what's on the cap, but aren't most of the manufacturers running 0W oil nowadays? I plan on changing the oil every 5k mi. Also, would like to run a longer oil filter if possible.

In California no need for 0W, follow Subaru's advice and get a 5W30.

I would buy any Dexos1 5W30 oil that you like or that is on sale, and you're fine. All Dexos oil is made to a high standard and is a quality product.

If you want me to pick a particular oil, then Castrol Magnatec 5W30 full synthetic. The Magnatec oils are producing excellent UOA's (used oil analysis) right now.

Mobil 1 0w40 is cheap and readily available in NA. Castrol Edge 0w40 also. Subaru likes little more substantial oils.

I second the Mobil 1 0w40, Castrol Edge 0w40 oil and you can get 3 OEM Subaru filters with the crush washers for around $20 shipped from eBay. I hope your head gaskets have been checked or replaced. This mileage is when they start to fail. Enjoy your Subie...I love mine.

No need for xW40 in a naturally aspirated Subaru and really no need for synthetic unless you intend to extend your intervals beyond 7,500 miles. I'd probably run a High Mileage 5W30 or 10W30.

I second bluesubie on the no need for 40wt oils on NAs. My 01 Forester actually used quite a bit of the M1 0w40, compared to none on RT6 before and after, so I vote no on that as well. I currently run Harvest King synthetic 5W-30 ($9/5qts!) and clearance Bosch Distance+ filters. About 3600 miles into this OCI, will change before snow hits this year.

I don't know if I agree on the HG doomsdayers, mine is at 215k on original HGs. Change the coolant and be sure to use the Subaru Coolant Conditioner. It should be fine as long as timing Belt and pulleys were done around 100k.

Share the Love! It's no barnstormer, but it is solid transportation.

Family has a 07 Impreza sedan with over 160,000 miles. Zero problems. I believe the HG problem was solved by 07. Still I change coolant as specified and use the Subaru additive just in case. I live in So Cal and now use 10W-30 year round. I have used Subaru and also aftermarket filters that do not have the recommended by pass setting. Have not heard/seen a difference, but with OEM filters so cheap these days..I would stick with OEM ENJOY!

I agree with bluesubie, 40wt oil isn't necessary for your application.

And I also agree with SR5 on the magnatec 5w30. It is probably the best bang for the buck oil available right now (aside from super sale/clearance opportunities).

I wouldn't worry about running a bigger filter for 5-7.5k ocis. I've always used factory filters for all my Subaru vehicles.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
That's head gasket territory. If they have not been done, expect to have to do them soon.

Yes they were done at 102k mi. Head gaskets, timing belt, water pump, oil pump, & tune up. Bill was around $3k-Geezuz!
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nicasio
That's head gasket territory. If they have not been done, expect to have to do them soon.

Yes they were done at 102k mi. Head gaskets, timing belt, water pump, oil pump, & tune up. Bill was around $3k 😬

Excellent. Should be a great vehicle.

Yes they were done at 102k mi. Head gaskets, timing belt, water pump, oil pump, & tune up. Bill was around $3k-Geezuz!
frown.gif

Whaaa...t!

I see the Magnatec for like $17.xx/gal. from Walmart. So I think I will go with that 1st. How about running high mileage synthetic. Would that be better since I'm at over 150k. I see all the bottles stating anything over 75k should be considered for HM oil

Not sure how much consumption yet, but no leaks the driveway so far. I will try the Magnatec 5W-30 1st. Good reviews & cheapest full syn from what I can see aside from Supertech. I will be doing 5k OCI's & sticking to the Supertech filters. Also forgot, does anyone know which oil filter # supersedes the ST7317 filter? IIRC the ST7317 has been discontinued.

Rural King's Harvest King is a Citgo full synthetic, Dexos1 approved. $9.99 for 5 quarts is like half the price of ST or the Castrol. I'll have a UOA from my 01 Forester with the HK syn 5W-30 by the end of the week, pulled the sample today.

I haven't used any yet, but the EcoGuard filters seem to have a decent feel here on the board. If you are getting the HK oil, the EG filters at RK are less than $2. I use the XG3593A filter for a cross reference. It's the 3.0/3.6 Subaru filter, so the bypass is slightly lower than the xx7317, but I haven't had any issues.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Rural King's Harvest King is a Citgo full synthetic, Dexos1 approved. $9.99 for 5 quarts is like half the price of ST or the Castrol. I'll have a UOA from my 01 Forester with the HK syn 5W-30 by the end of the week, pulled the sample today.

I haven't used any yet, but the EcoGuard filters seem to have a decent feel here on the board. If you are getting the HK oil, the EG filters at RK are less than $2. I use the XG3593A filter for a cross reference. It's the 3.0/3.6 Subaru filter, so the bypass is slightly lower than the xx7317, but I haven't had any issues.

Wish we had a RK store here! That's helluva deal for a jug of full syn! Do our Subies take the same size factory filters? Isn't the 3593A a fatter body compared to the 7317? I usually buy what I can from Walmart & Amazon.

Subaru folks, anyone know if the 2nd generation Impreza has a maintenance minder or low oil light?

Nope.

My 2011 doesn't even have them.

I use "trip b" on the instrument cluster to keep track of oil change mileage.

Check oil at least every 1k miles until you get an idea how much (if any) oil consumption you're dealing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back