Mid-90's Dyna w/ S&S Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Copied from HDforums:

An opportunity has arisen where I might be able to buy a relative's mid-90's Dyna with an S&S motor. It has custom paint, chain drive, vance & hines exhaust, custom wheels, digital LED speedo/tach, I'm sure plenty of other custom parts as well. This thing was really done up right. I rode it a few years ago and it was fast - does wheelies when it has traction. It did a rolling burnout in 2nd gear, and that was easing into the throttle. I'm coming from a supermoto that weighed 256lbs and had 80whp, so I'm used to bikes that rip the bars from your hands if you're not too careful.

I need to get more details of course, but what do you think a bike like this would be worth? I'm really considering it because I've always wanted a fast Harley, and the fact that this one is built right (owner has had numerous custom bikes over the years) and has a low mile s&s motor really inspires me. Curious as to your thoughts, and like I said, I'll get more info probably Monday when I have a chance to see the bike and talk with the owner.

Thanks in advance.

I think the motor was like 10 grand. It's the one with all of the bells and whistles from S & S. 130 wheel horsepower iirc.

Mid-90's is still 20 years old. Yeah, it's fast, but the market is just not there. Look on CL for a mid-90's Dyna. See what a clean factory bike is going for. Add maybe $2,500 for the S&S motor. That's your price.

Chain drive sucks for Harley guys. We are so used to quiet trouble free belts, that you have to take off $$ for that.

I'll bet it's loud ... So if you wanted to ride in our neck of the woods, you'd have to tone it down some. That means a re-jet plus whatever you do to the exhaust.

I understand fast. I have a breathed on 1200 XL with 883 pulley that will rip the bars out of your hands if you are not paying attention. But I ride it cool most of the time. Sometimes someone wants to GO, OK I might...

But what do you plan to actually do with this thing ... Bar hopping gets old. Not really a long distance cruiser ... Does your GF or wife like it? If it's too loud, they won't for long ...

It would be a toy more than anything else, and is highly dependent on price. I think the owner wants it to go go a good home where he can at least see it every now and then.

I'd definitely change the exhaust, either to Peacemaker or Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde. Right now it's straight piped without baffles. I love loud, just not all of the time.

Ok, 1999 Dyna Wide Glide with 117 c.i. S&S motor. Vance and Hines exhaust. Progressive suspension.

5k? Looks so fun to ride, I want it. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back