Best auto maker for driver aids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I'm getting a bit older, I'm thinking of getting a car with some driver aids - lane departure, emergency braking, etc. what car maker offers the best suite of such electronics?

Maybe a used Tesla? You can get a new Mercedes for that price.

If a little cheaper is ok then a Subaru is supposed to be very good.

Yeah, talk about budget otherwise we can talk about Tesla or a Mercedes S450.

That Mercedes has Active Distance Assist Distronic, Active Steering Assist, Active Emergency Stop Assist, Active Lane Change Assist, Active Speed Limit Assist, and Route-Based Speed Adaptation where the car anticipates speed reduction based on map data such as bends, junctions, roundabouts, toll booths, and exit ramps.

Other features include Active Brake Assist with Cross-Traffic function, Evasive Steering Assist, Active Blind Spot Assist, Active Lane Keeping Assist, Car-to-X communication, and Pre-Safe Plus. The new S-Class also gets trick safety features that first debuted on the E-Class like Pre-Safe Impulse Side, which can inflate the seat bolsters when an imminent side impact is detected to move the occupant up to 2.75 inches away from the crash zone; and Pre-Safe Sound, which omits an interference signal that can help prevent hearing loss in the event of a crash.

Oh there's also the 2017 E300, should be more in the 60-70k range, drive pilot with the Premium 3 package comes with all kinds of tech like Distance Pilot Distronic, Steering Pilot, Active Lane Keeping Assist, Active Brake Assist, Surround View System among numerous other things. The 2018's are out so maybe you can get a good deal.

Do the Volvo XC60 or XC90 float your boat? They're some of the safest cars you can get. When approaching an obstacle they will brake and, if it's safe to do so, steer around it.

The XC90's small overlap crash test performance is jawdropping.

Volvo has always been known for their safety, so that would be my answer
smile.gif

The used Tesla idea might also work, or even a new Model 3

A lot of automakers are including these features as options, but due to the infantcy of the technology, the effectiveness of these aids can vary significantly. Pay close attention to reviewers and do lots of test drives to see what works well for you.

Forward collision with braking and blind spot detection are the only two that really add any value, imo.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
A lot of automakers are including these features as options, but due to the infantcy of the technology, the effectiveness of these aids can vary significantly. Pay close attention to reviewers and do lots of test drives to see what works well for you.

Video tape it please if you test everything on your test drive
smile.gif

A good driving school.

Seriously, I'm 73 so I know where you are coming from.

Go back to basics. Reread your DMV driving regulation manual. Practice every good driving habit you learned. Drive defensively. Pay attention. Anticipate stupidity because you will surely see it. Get your eyes tested. Know your limitations. If night driving is not as easy, be especially cautious. Realize your reaction time and general health will decline and make adjustments.

Work for the improvement of driver education - it is pathetic in the USA. It was a semester course in my high school and car dealers supplied the cars for behind the wheel instruction.

Not saying newer technology is not useful.

But there is great emphasis in advertising and selling that it is a great salvation. Will drivers become dependant on it at the expense of driving skills?

The safest car is the one driven by the best driver.

Last edited:
I am only 61 but I am also thinking about this as well. I will still be in control of the car but systems like autonomous braking are a good safety net for those times when traffic suddenly stops in front of you.

All the automakers have these systems in vehicles now. Depending on the type of vehicle you want you can be well below $60k and have these systems in place.

The way I look at it, the first time these systems save your bacon, they've paid for themselves.

I'm 60 and the only driver aids I actually find useful are the front/rear parking sensors. There aren't any blind spots in any of my current cars because their mirrors are properly adjusted. I can easily do without the rest of the Helen Keller "Driver Assistance" features.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I'm 60 and the only driver aids I actually find useful are the front/rear parking sensors. There aren't any blind spots in any of my current cars because their mirrors are properly adjusted. I can easily do without the rest of the Helen Keller "Driver Assistance" features.

Helen Keller? - now that was eloquent.

You may want to rethink that one. Suggest you learn how she overcame adversity and became an inspiratation to millions, not using her in such a degrading fashion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back