Initial Review on the Big Guzzi

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm approaching 500 miles on the odo since taking delivery of The Beast (see sig) last Tuesday. This post is not about break-in which I've already discussed, which is the technique most on here do. Everything is great and I'm impressed with the bike. There was a harmonic vibe that phases into the bars and frame from about 3600rpm - 4000, very distinct. Two things-- that is apparently inherent to the CARC 1200 Guzzi's to a degree but the crash bars can aggravate it if they're not torqued tight enough. Snugged the crashers up slightly at the 10mm bolts front bottom, port and starboard fittings, and it did help some. Things are smooth above that. 6th gear and 4500 gets you 80mph, and those revs it's smooth enough. 6th feels like an overdrive, haven't been there much at all yet. The main thing I am adjusting to and would call a work in progress is the transmission and clutch. The setup is not shared sump. Just a different feel than the Ducati's I had, plus new and stiff I suppose.

Like a Harley, the engine does not share it's oil with anyone, the transmission has it's own oil, as does the final drive box at the end of the CARC shaft/swingarm assembly. Dry clutch. Three drain holes and three fill holes, but all easily accessible. Spin-on oil filter is mounted in a recess in the oil pan and easily accessible.
Service schedule calls for all three lubricants to be changed at First Service (962 miles) then every 6200 miles. Transmission any GL4 will do, final drive any GL5. Engine, Guzzi says preferred is 10W60. Specifically they mention ENI (AGIP) i-ride race 4T 10W60 full synthetic.

Engine design is air/oil cooled 90 deg v-twin, over square @ 3.74 x 3.20 inches (95 x 81.2 mm), 11:1. Heads are oil cooled and there's a 2nd oil pump dedicated solely to this.

Rake or Headstock angle is 27, trail is 4.92 in (125mm). Suspension travel is 6.6/6.1 inches (170/155mm) - F/R.

550W alternator

Fuel capacity is 8.5 US gallons (32L) and given that I'm currently seeing avg mpg @ 36 this thing is going to have long legs. Supposedly they settle into 40 - 43 mpg after the first service but we'll see.

Wind protection. Going to need a laminar lip installed at the top of the wind screen. Not really buffeting but needs cleaned up at helmet level.

Leg heat. I don't really feel anything off the cylinder heads, my knees maybe three inches from them. But my left thigh I get some heat off the high mounted exhaust silencer/catalyst combo, mainly when slow or stopped as you might expect.

Exhaust note is really nice, deep and rich, and doesn't get too raspy higher up. Fair amount of popping out the exhaust on engine decel. I can't remember if that's indicative of a rich or lean exhaust condition. My '16 (DVT) Ducati did it too, but not quite as much. Doesn't bother me.

So far I'm loving the bike and very happy with the choice.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Fair amount of popping out the exhaust on engine decel. I can't remember if that's indicative of a rich or lean exhaust condition. My '16 (DVT) Ducati did it too, but not quite as much,

Could be from the emissions control system injecting fresh air on deceleration which burns any residual in the exhaust system and can cause some popping. My XSR does it too once and awhile on long decelerations.

Sounds like you're enjoying the new bike.
thumbsup2.gif

That oil sounds hard to find I wonder if this would be a good canadate for Mobil 1 15w50?

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
That oil sounds hard to find I wonder if this would be a good canadate for Mobil 1 15w50?
that or Redline 20w60

LR, good to know you're enjoying your new Guzzi. My 2009 Superglide rolled over 33,000 miles today. She's been trouble free so far. Does the Guzzi have bar end weights? If so you might consider going up a notch to a heavier weight, as far as the buzzing goes. I did notice in one of your pics the exhaust from the heads doesn't have any heat shields. Are they available? There's always a little tweaking to do on a new bike. Ride safe.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Originally Posted By: Camprunner
that or Redline 20w60
. X2 for the Redline.

The ENI/AGIP 10W60 is steadily available on eBay (or was it Amazon...) for same price as most similar full syn bike oils. Spectro makes their Platinum 4 (PAO/Ester blend) in 10W60. Might go that route, too. Whatever oil, it must have very strong anti-foaming characteristics since the heads are oil cooled with a 2nd oil pump dedicated exclusively to that task.

Glad you got the bike and have a chance to get acquainted, LR. Hope she serves you well, and that you'll share more about the experience. I'm still giving some amount of consideration to a Goose, if I clear out my current bike(s) and can muster a bit more desire to ride. Once the ludicrous weather abates, I'm sure that'll help some. :)

Ton of "character" in this thing. No vanilla appliance here. At idle it has a satsifying shake accompanied by a thumpity-thump exhaust note. Tweak the throttle at idle and you get a little torque sway to the right... not that unique, guessing other bikes with crankshaft parallel to the longitudinal axis of the bike do the same but in combo with the idle shake and exhaust thump it lends some personality to the beast. Viva Italia !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back