Oil recommendations for 2012 Ford Raptor 6.2L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,
First timer here looking for oil recommendations for a vehicle I just purchased last week. I've used Amsoil in the past.
1. 2012 Ford F-150 Raptor 6.2L engine
2. Oil 5-20w API (ILSAC) meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C945-A
3. Live in Saint Louis Missouri
4. New truck so I drive hard and fast but not off road
5. Drive mostly highway but some suburbs
6. No none problems with the truck, has 17,885 miles on it.

I change the oil every 5,000 miles and use 100% synthetic. Thank you for any recommendations.

You've got a Ford Raptor but don't take it off-road?
shocked2.gif

Heck, I've even taken on my Sonata and Camry off-road!

Any quality synthetic 5-20 that meets the spec. I prefer M1 oils.

Last edited:
Welcome to bitog and congrats on the new truck! Super low miles for a 2012

For mostly highway use and 5k intervals on full synthetic I'd just find the cheapest oil possible that meets the spec. Pretty much anything will work just fine under those conditions.

Your truck holds 7 quarts, right? Might as well use Redline. It sounds like you want to take really good care of it, and Redline would be overkill.

Any full syn 5W-20 / 5W-30 that meets the specs it requires.
You probably could easily go 6000 miles or more between OCI, just follow the owner's manual on service intervals.

Don't waste money on a boutique oil.

Motorcraft SemiSyn from Walmart would be plenty to get a >200K from that truck of it is changed regularly.

I never heard of a vehicle that has regular oil changed at the prescribed rate that failed because the oil wasn't the right brand. Right API rating or weight yes but not Brand A vs Brand B except back in the 70's and 80s when Qs Penzoil had their issues. Oils are much better today so you can take your pick.

The high end boutique stuff is if you pull heavy loads regularly (think work truck pulling a heavy trailer) or run your car on the track.

You can pick any 5w20 and it will likely be semisyn anyway even if thebottle says conventional.

5K OCI and a decent oil filter (motorcraft) and it will run till the wheels fall off.

For current vehicles with the 6.2L, Ford have gone back to 5w30 so that's my recommendation. If you don't care about price, Redline is solid. If you want to cut costs and are (seriously Redline only 5k?) going only 5k, ST Syn will serve just fine.

Originally Posted By: atp160
Hello All,
First timer here looking for oil recommendations for a vehicle I just purchased last week. I've used Amsoil in the past.
1. 2012 Ford F-150 Raptor 6.2L engine
2. Oil 5-20w API (ILSAC) meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C945-A
3. Live in Saint Louis Missouri
4. New truck so I drive hard and fast but not off road
5. Drive mostly highway but some suburbs
6. No none problems with the truck, has 17,885 miles on it.

I change the oil every 5,000 miles and use 100% synthetic. Thank you for any recommendations.

LOL

Use whatever meets the spec and grade called for in the owner's manual. I'd stick with Ford filters for warranty purposes.

Motorcraft 5w-20 or 5W-30, and change it when the oil life monitor says 0%.

Anything more is harder on the wallet, and not necessary.

Take the money saved and put it towards something REALLY worthwhile.

It's an unstressed truck motor. Any oil with recommended spec and interval will last longer than you want to keep filling the beast with gas for. For someone who doesn't off road it will get old if its a daily driver. They are nice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back