BMW LL04/LL01

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

I know this is probably a dead horse, but I'd figure I'll step up to take my turn beating it again.

My situation:
I currently reside in Europe with the military. I was able to secure a MINI F56 through BMW military sales, and will be taking it back to the states in January. I have been keeping up with the service interval, and am due for an oil change in December. I currently hate the fact that I have to stomach 300$+ in order to have my oil change done (because of the cost/taxes on oil in Italy). I was able to get my hands on some LL01 equivalent oil, and am wondering what to do next. Should I stomach the 300$+ to change my oil, and then change it again when I get to the states (since BMW tech literature states not to use LL04 outside of Europe and LL01 outside of USA), or would I be ok with having them change the oil with my MOTUL LL01 equivalent, and then get an additional oil change when I get back to America 2 months later (since changing my oil 2 times will still come in at 2/13 the price of having the dealer change the oil with the approved LL04)?

An additional thing to point out is that I emailed BMW corporate with my situation, and they told me to speak with a dealer as they would know the technical restrictions best. I directed my question to a dealer that is close to home back in the US, and they said that they would have to do some digging with the BMW/MINI techs at corporate to figure out an answer.

TL;DR
Is it ok to change my oil with LL01 in Europe for a short period of time, or should I change the LL04, and drive it in the US for a brief period until I can flush out the LL04 in the states?

Again, sorry if this is a dead horse.

I mean not entirely necessary, I'm just coming up on the window of a couple hundred miles when I ship it back to USA (give or take 200 miles)

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Those B series engines are very robust and not very picky about oil.

Also, does it not come with free 3yr/36k mi maintenance like they do in the states?

Welcome to bitog!

Originally Posted By: Dislocated_Local
I wish. They don't honor that arrangement in Italy unfortunately.

But they do over here. Leave it alone and get it done for free when you get here.

Thanks for posting that!

I seem to be confusing the main point of that post.

So LL01 can be used in Europe, since it is for high-sulfur content gas, but LL04 is not to be used in USA?

I'd like to think they will, but to add to the situation I will be at the 3 year mark of the car in December (one month before I put it on the boat to ship home).

Thanks for posting that!

I seem to be confusing the main point of that post.

So LL01 can be used in Europe, since it is for high-sulfur content gas, but LL04 is not to be used in USA?

LL-04 is used for diesels in the states, however I've seen plenty of people use it in gassers without trouble.

(since BMW tech literature states not to use LL04 outside of Europe and LL01 outside of USA)

This makes no sense. What is the difference between ll-whatever oil on one side of the Atlantic or the other? I think you are obsessing over this unnecessarily. The main reason for the LL-04 requirement is low-SAPS DPF protection in diesels, AFAIK.

Originally Posted By: UberArchetype
(since BMW tech literature states not to use LL04 outside of Europe and LL01 outside of USA)

This makes no sense. What is the difference between ll-whatever oil on one side of the Atlantic or the other? I think you are obsessing over this unnecessarily. The main reason for the LL-04 requirement is low-SAPS DPF protection in diesels, AFAIK.

I mean I understand why they've published that because of the sulfur content differences in the fuels.

I probably am worrying too much, but The last thing I need is for the engine to fail right outside of warranty because I didn't do something right.

If an oil change cost $30 I'd say go for it. But not $300.

Assuming the car won't be more than a month or two in transit, have the oil changed when you get it back to the US. Good enough. Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back