Oil filter, what is it? - 1952 Chevy DeLuxe

Status
Not open for further replies.
The DeLuxe is here, and it needs an oil change in the worst way.

I'm struggling to figure out which oil filter it needs. The filter itself measures 3.875" in diameter, and is 4.625" high.

It looks like the Fram C4 in style, but the C4 seems to be bigger than this filter, from all of the dimensions that I've seen for it.

The only thing that I saw on the old filter was "Made in Israel"... which is of no use.

Any ideas?

Can you post a picture of the canister? I think you can look up filters by dimensions on Wixfilters.com.

My '54 uses a Wix 51100 or Fram C4, but my car has the AC filter canister.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
The DeLuxe is here, and it needs an oil change in the worst way.

I'm struggling to figure out which oil filter it needs. The filter itself measures 3.875" in diameter, and is 4.625" high.

It looks like the Fram C4 in style, but the C4 seems to be bigger than this filter, from all of the dimensions that I've seen for it.

The only thing that I saw on the old filter was "Made in Israel"... which is of no use.

Any ideas?

I see that these filters are accessed from up above. My Dad had a Chevy 4 door with the canister filter down under. That canister was a real PITA because the o-ring seal would twist and pop out while installing it. It took many try's until it was set.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
Can you post a picture of the canister? I think you can look up filters by dimensions on Wixfilters.com.

I think we're getting somewhere here.

What other brand of canister might it be? Where should I look for markings/stampings?

By the listed dimensions of the C4 filter, it's not going to fit into the canister that I have.

Can we back up a bit? Did 52 chevys have filters stock, or could this be an aftermarket thing?

Wixfilters.com lists dimensions as well on their lookup.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Can we back up a bit? Did 52 chevys have filters stock, or could this be an aftermarket thing?

Wixfilters.com lists dimensions as well on their lookup.

Yes the had filters stock. So did my 49.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
... All Chevy OHV 6's had filters.
That far back? I thought the one on our '54 was a factory option, but could be mistaken. The canister housing was mounted up high, clamped to the intake manifold, and connected through hoses to the block. My father made quite a ritual of syringing the old oil out of the housing and wiping its interior clean.

After that car was old, I replaced the oil filter hoses, for fear the old ones might burst. A few miles later, one of my brand new hoses blew apart at speed on the Interstate, making quite a mess.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: drtyler

I think we're getting somewhere here.

What other brand of canister might it be? Where should I look for markings/stampings?

By the listed dimensions of the C4 filter, it's not going to fit into the canister that I have.

This site should be a good resource:

https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/engines/oil filters/

Based on information listed there, an oil filter was never "standard" on the 216/235/261 stovebolt 6 through '63 even though most had one - either as a factory or dealer installed option. Are there any stickers or numbers on the housing?

Andrew S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back