2017 Trax

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently using Castrol Edge 5w-30 in my DI Turbo Trax Would there be any harm in using the German Castrol Edge 0w-40 that I already use in my BMW ? I'll admit I'm a bit concerned with making this little turbo engine last

0w40 will work fine but id stick to mfr requirements while under warranty. Are you worried that 0w40 will protect better than 5w30? Id doubt much of a difference.

I am worried about the DI and how hot the turbo gets the oil I thought the German Castrol would hold up better

Does the 2017 include any free GM oil changes?

I would do that as long as you can, then move to a proper Dexos motor oil that meets spec.

Also save receipts for everything you do to this car.

I would be concerned with always using very good fuel with this turbo engine as well.

Techron would be recommended every oil change as well. It is good insurance for $4 per dose.

Originally Posted By: SilverGt
I am worried about the DI and how hot the turbo gets the oil I thought the German Castrol would hold up better

Your Trax doesn't have DI. Trax continues to use the same LUV 1.4L it's always had. This is a port fuel injected engine, not a direct injection.

The Encore is available with the LE2 1.4L in upper trims, which is a DI engine. Lower trims still get the LUV. Trax does not get this option.

I think what you have in the sump now is going to work well for you. I have a feeling these small turbos being used now won't be so forgiving to neglect like running a quart or two low and extended ocis on cheap bulk conventional. A Dexos approved oil - especially a full synthetic on a solid oci and checking the oil level regularly will go a long way to making this little turbo last.

My 2015 Trax has been one of my all around solid value vehicles I have owned. I'm still using Dexos 5w-30 semi syn but will probably go full syn next oil change. 35000 miles on it. Never has used oil between changes.

it's a great vehicle, we bought it used, a 1 year old lease return. the only trouble i've had so far (touch wood) is a bad spark plug coil, replaced under warranty of course.

when i first got it, i changed the oil right away. the records showed the couple services it had since new were just oil changes etc, using dealer bulk dexos1 oil i'm assuming. when i changed the oil, the olm was only at around 30% i believe, but man that oil was rough looking. the filter had thick sludgy oil on it, and i could see some pretty thick stuff under the oil filler cap on the valvetrain... i've read that the sonic, cruze, trax 1.4 turbos called for dexos1 and at the time gm dealers sold and used a semi syn ac delco oil, which they may still use... but these 1.4T's are hard on oil and the semi syn ac delco stuff doesn't stand up at all. a short fill of pennzoil platinum sorted that out. since then i've always used a full syn 5w30, mostly pennzoil platinum or mobil 1, all dexos1 of course.

i'll run the olm down to 20% or under, which is about 8000 - 10,000km for me, once a year.

Originally Posted By: SilverGt
Mkskud how has your trax been doing for you ?

it's a great vehicle, we bought it used, a 1 year old lease return. the only trouble i've had so far (touch wood) is a bad spark plug coil, replaced under warranty of course.

when i first got it, i changed the oil right away. the records showed the couple services it had since new were just oil changes etc, using dealer bulk dexos1 oil i'm assuming. when i changed the oil, the olm was only at around 30% i believe, but man that oil was rough looking. the filter had thick sludgy oil on it, and i could see some pretty thick stuff under the oil filler cap on the valvetrain... i've read that the sonic, cruze, trax 1.4 turbos called for dexos1 and at the time gm dealers sold and used a semi syn ac delco oil, which they may still use... but these 1.4T's are hard on oil and the semi syn ac delco stuff doesn't stand up at all. a short fill of pennzoil platinum sorted that out. since then i've always used a full syn 5w30, mostly pennzoil platinum or mobil 1, all dexos1 of course.

i'll run the olm down to 20% or under, which is about 8000 - 10,000km for me, once a year.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

I would be concerned with always using very good fuel with this turbo engine as well.

Techron would be recommended every oil change as well. It is good insurance for $4 per dose.

funny you should mention that... in my '14 trax, for the hotter summer months i'll use mid grade 89 rating gas. i get much better mileage. over the winter i'll run the standard 87 grade gasoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back