The Goodyear WeatherReady is now available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tire Rack has classified the WeatherReady as a Grand Touring all-season.

UTQG rating is 700-A-A
Warranty is 60k

This is surprising, since the compromises needed to make it perform well enough to earn the mountain-and-snowflake symbol would make the fair-weather performance not as good as, say, a CS5 Ultra. I thought for sure they'd put it in the passenger all-season category!

Tire Rack makes no reference to "all weather" or any other trendy new name for all-season tires that are actually good in snow. But if it's like the other all-season tires with the severe service logo, it won't last the 60k they claim (Toyo Celsius, Nokian WRG3, Vredestein Quatrac 5)

Some of the sizes are US-made, but most come from Chile.

In the description, TR makes this disclaimer:
Originally Posted By: Tire Rack
While non-winter tires featuring the Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake symbol (3PMSF) provide additional longitudinal snow traction beyond what all-season (M+S) tires not bearing the symbol can deliver, they do not match the capability of a true winter tire in all adverse weather conditions.

Nevertheless, I look forward to seeing TR's testing on them!

Hopefully they fixed the noise issues with the old triple treads. Had a set on a camry and they sounded like mud terrains after 20k miles. Big issue with those.

Interesting concept, the tires look nice. I'd certainly give them a try, if I needed new tires and the price was right.

Surely they come in more than the seven sizes that TR has listed...?

Yes, it will be available in more than seven sizes. It's going to be made in 40 sizes, but remember, thy just came out
smile.gif

This article has the size list.

Goodyear already has an all-weather tire in Europe, now in its second generation, the Vector 4Seasons Gen-2, which gets good test results.

https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/tires/vector_4seasons_gen-2.VEC4SEASG2.html

Since Consumer Reports makes the claim that the Nokian WR G3 and Toyo Celsius are as good, and even better than some dedicated winter tires, I'm curious what they will have to say about the Assurance WeatherReady

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Tire Rack has classified the WeatherReady as a Grand Touring all-season.

This is surprising, I thought for sure they'd put it in the passenger all-season category!

Not surprising since its a H and V rated tire that is tirerack's grand touring.

AFAIK that is nearly the only criteria Tirerack uses for separating certain classes of tires.

(for example passenger touring, grand touring, UHP all season etc)

@Rand, not entirely true

For example, most of the Fuel Max sizes are H and V, but TR called them passenger all-season. And the WeatherReady's immediate predecessor, the TripleTred, was also classified as passenger all-season and mostly H and V.

The speed ratings may separate the difference between grand touring and standard touring, but not the difference between grand touring and passenger all-season.

That said, I do agree with you that TR does put a bit too much emphasis on speed rating in determining the performance categories.

TR's description of Grand Touring all-season
You want all-season versatility (including light snow traction) and responsive handling along with noise and ride comfort.

Branded with the M+S symbol and capable of providing year-round traction (even in light snow), these tires are designed to blend a performance tire's appearance with a passenger tire's smooth, quiet ride. Grand Touring All-Season tires are often used as Original Equipment and place more emphasis on handling and high-speed capabilities than Standard Touring tires

TR's description of Passenger all-season
You want all-season versatility (including light snow traction) along with dependable tires that provide good wear and ride comfort.

Branded with the M+S symbol and capable of providing year-round traction (even in light snow), the steering response and handling capabilities of Passenger All-Season tires won''t match that of performance or touring tires. Passenger All-Season tires emphasize good wear, a plush ride, and predictable handling.

Any tire good enough to earn the 3-peak symbol, especially that plus a 60k warranty, won't handle as well as a ComforTred Touring, CS5 Ultra, PureContact, Premier, or H/V-rated RT43. The WeatherReady is probably as good as the TripleTred in non-winter conditions, though.

I had Kumho ECSTA Platinum LX 235/40r18 95W and TR classified them as Grand Touring, and that's with the W-speed rating.

It was a tire that did emphasize more comfort than cornering grip

These should be a nice replacement for the Nokain WRGs I've been using. Made in USA and available through the dealer of my choice!

Originally Posted By: marine65
tire rack says not available for your car.
195-60-15 2006 Sentra!
Are they nuts?

All the sizes aren't available yet. But they previously said the only 15-inch size will be 195/65-15

Originally Posted By: marine65
tire rack says not available for your car.
195-60-15 2006 Sentra!
Are they nuts?

It's not tire rack' s fault that Goodyear doesn't make it in that size.

Check Goodyear's website for yourself

WeatherReady, say hello to the new WeatherGuard from Milestar:

Quote:
The WeatherGuard AW365 tire utilizes an all-new silica-enriched compound with an all-weather asymmetric tread design that promotes optimum traction in dry, wet and snow conditions. Interlocking circumferential blocks provide traction and aid with directional stability while angled tread notches reduce noise and improve overall tread life. Variable depth siping and large lateral grooves allow for water evacuation for improved all-weather performance, while 3D siping integrated into the tread blocks improves braking stability during inclement conditions, Tireco notes.

The all-weather tire carries the Three Peak Mountain Snowflake symbol and is engineered to “tackle everything from scorching summers to long, harsh winters,” the company says.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/726167/tireco-debuts-milestar-weatherguard-aw365

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
WeatherReady, say hello to the new WeatherGuard from Milestar:

Quote:
The WeatherGuard AW365 tire utilizes an all-new silica-enriched compound with an all-weather asymmetric tread design that promotes optimum traction in dry, wet and snow conditions. Interlocking circumferential blocks provide traction and aid with directional stability while angled tread notches reduce noise and improve overall tread life. Variable depth siping and large lateral grooves allow for water evacuation for improved all-weather performance, while 3D siping integrated into the tread blocks improves braking stability during inclement conditions, Tireco notes.

The all-weather tire carries the Three Peak Mountain Snowflake symbol and is engineered to “tackle everything from scorching summers to long, harsh winters,” the company says.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/726167/tireco-debuts-milestar-weatherguard-aw365

in case you want to see what the tread pattern looks like:

https://www.milestartires.com/passenger-tires/weatherguard-aw365/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back