Best 20 gauge self defense ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to hear opinions as to the Federal #2 buck 3 inch Magnum 18 pellet @1100 FPS vs the Rio #1 buck 9 pellet @1347 FPS for home defense use.

A few thoughts: I took both to the range.
The Rio #1 buck 9 pellet (1347 FPS) kicks like a mule and taken apart seems to have twice the powder (or the wad ends 1/2 an inch higher to the pellets) vs Federal #2 buck 18 pellet 3 inch Magnum.

The pattern of both at 17 feet from an 18 inch no choke barrel could be covered by a Volleyball, but the Rio seemed to look more like a Blimp or Banana vs the Federal Volleyball. (I was surprised at the size of the spread in both. Certainly more like a volleyball and nothing like a softball)

Doing some math it does seem the weight- 529 grains vs 364 grains
and almost double frontage area of the 18 Federal pellets is much more.

The weight and added 200fps of the Rio #1 buck should give penetration than the Federal

Thanks

Last edited:
I think if you rock almost any shotgun load into someone it will effectively neutralize the threat.

I load #6 for home defense. Consider over penetration of something like 00.

Thanks--20 gauge though--(There is some talk that anything less than #1 buck doesn't reliably penetrate deeply enough to hit vitals...especially if the invader has a heavy leather coat in winter)

Last edited:
I'd go down to number 4 buck for home defense. I'd pick the load with less recoil (faster follow up if needed) and a more regular pattern, in your case the Federal.

Does Federal make a Flite Control load in 20g? I'd check that out if available.

BSW

A typical home invasion confrontation scenario is you walk in on a robbery in progress. Thieves usually hit houses they know are vacant so they don't have to deal with people with shotguns blasting lead at them. Unless you live in particularly bad part of town where the criminals are highly desperate (drugs) You wont likely have to deal with that.

That said, if you hear thump thump smash in the middle of the knight. I would want something that I can wing around close quarters easily (doorways, narrow halls etc) and has minimum kick. Controlled rapid fire is more effective than one cannon blast. If you fire off a 20 gauge in a home and miss, I think the biggest problem you will have is cleaning the yellow and brown stains from your carpet.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
A typical home invasion confrontation scenario is you walk in on a robbery in progress. Thieves usually hit houses they know are vacant so they don't have to deal with people with shotguns blasting lead at them. Unless you live in particularly bad part of town where the criminals are highly desperate (drugs) You wont likely have to deal with that.

That said, if you hear thump thump smash in the middle of the knight. I would want something that I can wing around close quarters easily (doorways, narrow halls etc) and has minimum kick. Controlled rapid fire is more effective than one cannon blast. If you fire off a 20 gauge in a home and miss, I think the biggest problem you will have is cleaning the yellow and brown stains from your carpet.
smile.gif

Aw come on...you are taking all the fun out of it by introducing reality.

I am guessing the OP does not have children in the house on the other side of the 5/8" sheetrock interior walls.

Thanks for that link>#4 buckshot is what we here consider the minimum all purpose buckshot load for tactical applications.

There actually have been doors kicked in here where I live. Seems to be the new thing sadly. We recently had a gang member on probation shoot a man in both legs in a robbery. Served 5 months till suspended and then killed a man in another robbery a month later.

Originally Posted By: clarkflower
There actually have been doors kicked in here where I live. Seems to be the new thing sadly. We recently had a gang member on probation shoot a man in both legs in a robbery. Served 5 months till suspended and then killed a man in another robbery a month later.

Slug

I get the slug, but if needed woken groggy at 3am I really do like the idea of throwing a volleyball with a 6 inch margin of error down the hall vs a slug that could miss by a 1/2 inch

To me the question is what buck. 1- 2- 3 or 4 keeping in mind I can use the Federal # 2 in 3" mag with almost the same amount of pellets as most #3 rounds

Last edited:
If you are looking for in-home defense with a preference of 20 gauge, it is hard to beat 2 3/4 inch #3 buck. You don't need the 3 inch. 20 gauge; you're getting in 12 gauge recoil territory there and should be re-evaluating your caliber choices at that point. 3 buck is proven in the 20 g and penetrates clothing material well while maintaining performance. It will also reach out to 30 yds without issue if needed. As far as brand, I would look for Federal, Winchester, and Remington; in that order of preference. Remington is probably the easiest to find, but I would go with the Federal Power Shock with the Triple Plus wad if it is available (it is what I keep on hand for the wife's HD 20g). Unfortunately, Federal does not yet make a 20 g. buckshot round with the FliteControl wad, but if they ever do, get it. I use their FC #1 buck in 12 gauge and it is a top performer. Wad performance is key, as you are witnessing with the Rio.

Also, I don't mean to question, but your spread at 17 feet seems awful large. Did you maybe mean 17 yards? At 17 feet, your spread should not be much more than 2-4 inches.

Originally Posted By: ejes
If you are looking for in-home defense with a preference of 20 gauge, it is hard to beat 2 3/4 inch #3 buck. You don't need the 3 inch. 20 gauge; you're getting in 12 gauge recoil territory there and should be re-evaluating your caliber choices at that point. 3 buck is proven in the 20 g and penetrates clothing material well while maintaining performance. It will also reach out to 30 yds without issue if needed. As far as brand, I would look for Federal, Winchester, and Remington; in that order of preference. Remington is probably the easiest to find, but I would go with the Federal Power Shock with the Triple Plus wad if it is available (it is what I keep on hand for the wife's HD 20g). Unfortunately, Federal does not yet make a 20 g. buckshot round with the FliteControl wad, but if they ever do, get it. I use their FC #1 buck in 12 gauge and it is a top performer. Wad performance is key, as you are witnessing with the Rio.

Also, I don't mean to question, but your spread at 17 feet seems awful large. Did you maybe mean 17 yards? At 17 feet, your spread should not be much more than 2-4 inches.

Ran out of edit time...

I mention the spread just because the longest shot in most homes would typically be around 12 feet. At those ranges, no matter how many pellets are in a round, you are throwing a slug sized pattern and could miss just the same.

Originally Posted By: ejes

No 17 marked feet same as my hallway. I was very surprised too.
(In a way I was happy as with my thin hall I almost could not miss)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
Leave a few spent casings around the windows and doors. Thats better than an ADT sign,

If you want to advertise that you've got guns to steal...

BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back