SanDisk Ultra 400GB MicroSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems not long ago the 256GB was a big leap from the 64 then 128GB.
Seems it won't be long and they'll reach into TB region.
But the price sets ya back over 200.
Smartphone space, dash cam hours etc.
Crazy
eek.gif

Digital junk. 1s and 0s stored on removable media, to eventually be forgotten in a desk drawer.

Do more with less..

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Crazy
eek.gif

I still have my 128 MB stick from college in the desk draw. Doesn't get much use these days.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Digital junk. 1s and 0s stored on removable media, to eventually be forgotten in a desk drawer.

Do more with less..

Is someone twisting your arm to purchase one?

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

Do more with less..

You do that. I'll make my own choices, thank you.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Crazy
eek.gif

Top of the line stuff (in terms of max capacity) will always be super expensive, on a per GB basis - you are paying premium for the convenience. Right now the sweet spot seems to be 128-200GB range when it comes to price per GB. I just picked up a 128GB microSD card for my portable audio player.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
But what if your device only supports up to, say, 128gb microSD? Out of luck
whistle.gif

Have you tried? A device that supports a 128GB card might also support a larger capacity card, even if only 128GB is mentioned in the specs.

How is the speed of a particular MicroSD card, are they faster than most SSD's? How can you find out the speed of the RAM in the MicroSD cards, since it seems you'd want a fast one as much as a large storage capacity one.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
How is the speed of a particular MicroSD card, are they faster than most SSD's?

No way. SSDs are faster, especially when it comes to handling of small files.

Quote:
How can you find out the speed of the RAM in the MicroSD cards, since it seems you'd want a fast one as much as a large storage capacity one.

There are various test utilities out there... CrystalDiskMark, ATTO, FlashBench, etc. Below are the test results for that 128GB card I just received... speeds are good enough for quickly transferring large files, such as lossless audio files in my case...

39051515351_f05128d348_o.png

For comparison, here are test results for SSD in my laptop:
38169633645_517214b2e1_o.png

Yup. If you need a system drive, SSD is definitely the way to go because of its speed of handling small system files. But for portable media storage where small size is important, these microSD cards work pretty well.

I have a 64 GB microSD in my phone that I haven't even filled 1/4 of the way...

My 2TB network hard drive at home is about 1/4 filled... Johnny 5 said it best: NEED INPUT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back