Dexos 1 Gen 2---Any Differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of the oils that will be certified with this spec, assuming 90% of daily drivers in the US (nothing exotic), assuming normal to conservative OCI's, is there any reason other than price to choose one brand over another?
My example: I really like Valvoline Full Syn w/Ml. However, a recent thread on here concluded that it had a substantially lower quality base oil than Mobil 1 and Pennzoil synthetics. If my VFSML is Dexos 1 Gen 2, then it will keep my engine as clean and protected as it would ever need to be and within ridiculously small differences as compared to M1 PP, etc..
Correct?

The official answer for how gen 2 is better:

The most current dexos1™ specification (dexos1™ Gen 2) was released in 2015 to provide even higher engine performance and protection, particularly low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) protection in small displacement turbo-charged engines. dexos1™ Gen 2 is the best option for your GM spark-ignited gasoline engine regardless of make, model or year.

All else being equal (namely price and availability), I would go for a gen 2 over a gen 1. Only exception might be if you are in a fringe use case.

If you "really like" VML FS then I see no reason not to use it....it is an excellent oil.
I'd bet that any brand of FS dexos1 gen 2 oil will keep your engine running great for as long as you care to own that vehicle....in other words...they are all very good.
I'm guessing that the latest dexos spec. cuts back on calcium to help prevent LSPI. If your car is not a turbo, you would be served well by buying up the old dexos oil at a discount IMO....

I was a little confused about this. I did a little reading from the link to http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-about/
dexos 1 Gen 2 and dexos 2 are not the same. dexos 2 is the euro standard and a different list of approved oils.

Speaking to the calcium, it is kind interesting that the M1 oils that I can find calcium data on have pretty low calcium, whereas it doesn't appear(yet) that the other USA manufacturers have dropped thiers en masse(yet). We will see with the new GF-6 next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back