Ceramic Magnets Inside oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this website: www.oilfiltermagnets.com. They sell ceramic magnets for the inside oil filters. So, I've used filtermag and read several threads on bitog. I would be hesitant putting ceramic magnet inside the center. What are your thoughts/opnions? Thanks in advance.......................

Cheers,

Pajero

I would't want a magnet on the clean side of the filter like they show. Hope nobody pops one inside an eCore without thinking.
eek.gif

It appears that you discard the magnet with the filter or am I wrong?

Can't the magnets be cleaned?

And do they impede the return flow of the oil through the center of the oil filter?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

And do they impede the return flow of the oil through the center of the oil filter?

Seriously?

This is BITOG and every guy who decides to use one of these is going to cut the old filter open and remove the magnet, take several photographs under a microscope, weigh the ferrous debris to a thousandth of a gram and then ask each of us to make an educated guess which components the material is from.

A spreadsheet will be maintained with the date od first use and then a concensus will be made as to what the MCI should be.

Magnet Change Interval.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Seriously?

This is BITOG and every guy who decides to use one of these is going to cut the old filter open and remove the magnet, take several photographs under a microscope, weigh the ferrous debris to a thousandth of a gram and then ask each of us to make an educated guess which components the material is from.

A spreadsheet will be maintained with the date od first use and then a concensus will be made as to what the MCI should be.

Magnet Change Interval.

Fantastic idea!

That was my concern!

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
Is there any merit to installing a magnet to the oil filter?

I've been using Neodymiums for years (since 2007) and there is ALWAYS "stuff" on them
full-76552-8628-img_0036.jpg

The one thing that they got right and all the other magnet setups got wrong is the idea that the magnet should do its work after the oil goes through the media, not before. That's the problem these magnets solve. Now, the question might be is this needed and if so does this setup work without impeding the return flow.

It looks like you'll need tin snips or a hack saw to get the magnet out for the next oil change or just buy the whole box of magnets from this vendor.

Overall it might be worth the effort and expense for the DIY person and the hard used or long term vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Is there any merit to installing a magnet to the oil filter?

I've been using Neodymiums for years (since 2007) and there is ALWAYS "stuff" on them
full-76552-8628-img_0036.jpg

I suppose that would be helpful for longer OCIs to keep the filter elements clean. But I'm curious if they caught anything the filter wouldn't catch.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I would't want a magnet on the clean side of the filter like they show. Hope nobody pops one inside an eCore without thinking.
eek.gif

Me either. I'd pass on those. On the outside dome end, or around the filter, not the inside.

Thanks, but no thanks. Besides reasons mentioned above, they're designed as disposable. Don't like that idea either. And I might be concerned it could interfere with the bypass function of some filters. Once again though, similar to a filter posted here recently, great promotion on the site. Probably catch some folks.

Id pass on the inside the filter magnet, I would think if the general population used them, one in a great while it may impede the proper function of the bypass valve?

I would think the safest would be a magnetic oil pan plug and use one on my bike and truck.
Lintex's use of magnets on the oil filter is another interesting spin that I have never seen before, certainly looks effective..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex

I suppose that would be helpful for longer OCIs to keep the filter elements clean. But I'm curious if they caught anything the filter wouldn't catch.

I'm Not concerned about "filter capacity" - oil filters have enough capacity to last most people 50,000 miles easily.

They gotta be catching stuff that finds it's way through the pores - that's my concern. Oil circulates 1000's of times through an engine, I don't think it matters at all where the magnets are located.

Too bad VW never had a big ol' honking magnet inside the "window screen" oil filter they used in the beetles for so many years.

I also want to "see" what's been coming up from the sump/oil pump........

It looks like you'll need tin snips or a hack saw to get the magnet out for the next oil change or just buy the whole box of magnets from this vendor

I don't like ceramics - they just don't have the N-Gauss that Neodymium magnets have.
If you're going to do it, do it with magnets that have some real strength.

Originally Posted By: The_Nuke
For those of us who believe the best oil filter is a good air filter, this sort of thing is much ado about nothing.

Do most ferrous metals enter through the airbox?

grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back