governor got stuck on pressure washer

This must be a generac thing. The governor freezes up if not used enough. Had the same thing happen on a generator I was fixing and i'm pretty sure it bent a pushrod almost instanty, or the governor assembly let go inside the engine. Anyways I was doing some pressure washing for a customer and he was home waiting for me to show up, so I didn't want to show up and then tell him I would have to come back since my pressure washer wasn't working right, so I just used it as is. Anyways, after an hour it finally freed up and starting "governing" the rpms. It only reved high when I let off the trigger which was rarely and stayed pretty close to the correct rpm with the trigger pulled so I doubt I hurt anything.

Anyways, my point is I've never had this happen on any other engine. What gives? It started up first try.

You have a Honda engine don't you?
This is very common on Honda engines as the governor is on the inside of the engine instead of the outside and it will become sticky.
Using the proper oil and changing it at the correct interval is key to preventing this.
You did not hurt anything by running it that way and in fact you may have done it good, it got nice and hot and was freed up.
Change the oil using a high quality HD-30 like Honda or Castrol.

Originally Posted By: Spike555
You have a Honda engine don't you?
This is very common on Honda engines as the governor is on the inside of the engine instead of the outside and it will become sticky.
Using the proper oil and changing it at the correct interval is key to preventing this.
You did not hurt anything by running it that way and in fact you may have done it good, it got nice and hot and was freed up.
Change the oil using a high quality HD-30 like Honda or Castrol.

Which honda? The gx series or the gc series?

This issue is usually caused by a sticking throttle plate shaft. When the engine if off, the governor holds the throttle wide open. After sitting for months or years, the fuel/vapors make their way up the emulsion tube and settle down in the lower throttle shaft pocket/hole, forms a lacquer. Now you have WOT when started.

If this happens, shut off engine, see if you can move throttle at carb by hand/finger. if not, remove air filter and spray a small amount of carb cleaner or wd-40 in carb and onto throttle shaft. Also spray some on throttle shaft on the outside of carb where it enters. Move throttle shaft back and forth until totally freed up.

Restart engine and confirm proper operation.

A stuck governor or related component is rare. A broken governor is more common than a stuck governor.

From what I was told by a small engine shop all of them with OHV's.
Everything is internal so this is common.

I had a Honda engine on my Snapper walk behind mower, after 20yrs the governor did this, I had no power, it would not open the throttle when under load, took it in, they said what was wrong and I scrapped the mower because to fix it it was not worth it.

Last time I checked on a small engine it was a mechanism inside the crankcase that spins around and has weights on it and opens more according to rpm. This somehow opens the throttle plate controlling the rpm. So I varnish collects on that shaft like the other poster said, then it would make it not work right.

I only have a general idea though. Lol

I would just think the whole carb would be gunned up and not even let the engine run to begin with.

Read what GravelRoad said.

A spring (on the outside of the engine near the carb) pulls the throttle wide open when the engine is stopped or turning slowly. As rpm increases, the spinning governor weights inside the crankcase apply force to a shaft and lever that comes outside. The lever has a push-rod to the throttle. The force from the governor works against the spring to pull the throttle closed.

The most common breakdown of this system is the spring breaks or becomes detached. This causes the throttle to move to the closed position and stay there, so the engine runs slowly with no power. The second most common problem is something getting stuck, usually the shaft on the carb. The weights inside the engine are very seldom a problem. What can happen in that area is the outside lever being clamped in the wrong position on the shaft that comes through the crankcase wall. This is usually a result of someone attempting to repair it.

I also have a GX160 Honda pressure washer with a ?frozen governor. Starts right up but is at a high RPM (sounds and feels like the correct RPM). I took off the air filter and sprayed anti seize on the throttle shaft and components but throttle doesn't turn very nicely despite loosening and retightening the throttle shaft. I guess I'd never really run it at a low RPM. Keep using it as it is or get it serviced? Sounds quite nice actually I just don't have throttle control.

The engine will throw the rod fairly quickly if you let it run above design rpm. If the throttle lever and plate stay at the wide open position while running with light load, that is a problem.

Back