At what point do you get a new car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had the same car for the last 10 years, purchased new and maintained well. It has 136k and has some mild surface rust, nothing major. It is still my daily driver, and my only car.

I live in a rather rural area, and winters can be pretty brutal. I'd hate to be stranded if I ever had to get somewhere, although this car hasn't let me down yet.

Run it into the ground, or sell it while it's still running and get something new?

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Run it into the ground, or sell it while it's still running and get something new?

This makes it sound like it's going to die somewhat soon. At 136k, it still has a lot of life left.

What kind of car is it? Have you had to replace any wear and tear items yet?

When I get tired of it. I'm not out to see how long I can make a clunker last. Nor am I in it to be bored to death with a car.

If you want a new one then it's time - that's everyone's individual taste.

Only you can decide how to spend you money..Do you like the car? Hate the car? It is a long term reliable car or a FIAT?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high

This makes it sound like it's going to die somewhat soon. At 136k, it still has a lot of life left.

What kind of car is it? Have you had to replace any wear and tear items yet?

2007 Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe. Brakes, wheel bearings, shocks and struts, bushings, timing chain tensioner, etc.

I think it needs a new belt tensioner (squeaks on startup), and has a front end rattle that is either the steering intermediate shaft or swaybar bushings. Other than that it has been dead reliable. I'm thinking new snow tires for winter and just continue driving it until it completely dies.

I have records for every service performed since day 1. Drained the factory fill at 2396 miles! Always used Mobil 1 5W-30 and either AC Delco or Napa Gold oil filters. GM fluids in the trans changed every 30k.

Last edited:
When your 2004 Dodge Intrepid's brake pedal goes to the floor for the second time in six months and the shop says all the brake lines are corroded and needs a total rebuild to the tune of $2500+.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Only you can decide how to spend you money..Do you like the car? Hate the car? It is a long term reliable car or a FIAT?

It is very fun to drive. Has a limited slip diff, 5 speed manual from a Saab and the GM Stage 2 supercharger package along with the GM ported exhaust manifold.

It costs next to nothing to operate so I'm thinking of just driving it as long as possible. MSRP was $ 24,095 back in 2007. A Camaro SS is $ 40,000+. No thanks!

Last edited:
1995 Geo Prizm. Looks like a 3 year old car. 200k miles. Uses less than 1 quart of oil between 7000 mile oil changes. I fix what breaks. $1900 wholesale purchase price in 2009 with 86k miles. Starts, runs, drives and shifts perfectly. 24-34 mpg. Dirt cheap to run, repair and insure. Air blow cold, never been apart. NO plans to retire, sell or scrap. Why would I, you or anyone else? Unless you have an "ego".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Powerglide
They're appliances anyway. I'll make the sacrifice for the 1956 Chevy that stays in the garage.

Found a 1954 Chevy Sedan on Facebook Marketplace near me. Guy wants 10,500. Says it needs nothing, had new paint and interior 20 some years ago. I kind of want it, haha.

If you want something new, buy it and keep the existing car. Use it to drive to work and keep the miles down on the new one. Drive the old one in bad weather. Keep no more insurance on the old one than you need. ( keep plenty of liability though, just not comp and collision if the car is not worth it).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Powerglide
1995 Geo Prizm. Looks like a 3 year old car. 200k miles. Uses less than 1 quart of oil between 7000 mile oil changes. I fix what breaks. $1900 wholesale purchase price in 2009 with 86k miles. Starts, runs, drives and shifts perfectly. 24-34 mpg. Dirt cheap to run, repair and insure. Air blow cold, never been apart. NO plans to retire, sell or scrap. Why would I, you or anyone else? Unless you have an "ego".

Well it'd be more to get the latest technology. Adaptive cruise control, collision avoidance, android/apple interface etc. Sorta tempted now, but waiting for the price of used cars to drop a little more.

When it bends like a noodle behind the drivers seat...

Drove it to the junkyard with the middle dragging the ground...

276,000, 1980 Pontiac Phoenix (X-car) with 4 cylinder Iron Duke...

Originally Posted By: spasm3
If you want something new, buy it and keep the existing car. Use it to drive to work and keep the miles down on the new one. Drive the old one in bad weather. Keep no more insurance on the old one than you need. ( keep plenty of liability though, just not comp and collision if the car is not worth it).

So buy a new car so that it can mainly sit in the garage and depreciate while you drive the old one and still have to pay to maintain it, register it, and insure it? We are a no fault state here so even basic liability insurance is expensive.

Those neighbors that are on the new car every couple years treadmill won't admit it. But they secretly admire your self reliance, fix it yourself, drive it forever M. O. and refusal to participate in the "keep up with the joneses" falsetto class stigma is a freedom many of them deseperaty wish they could be a part of. Their upper middle class sensibilities won't permit it. Yet they're still MISERABLE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back