06 Sonata shaking on acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 06 sonata with v6 3.3 L and 5 speed automatic transmission has developed a bade shake on acceleration after 5 minutes of driving-the whole car shakes bad enough that I can see the passenger seat rocking and steering wheel is too. then it stays on for a few minutes then disappears but noticed lately it's staying longer which is a sign of deterioration. rotated and balanced the tires with no improvement.

Jacked the car up and found what seems to be passenger axle and transmission joint leak which doesn't seem to be fresh fluid

IO8T8S.jpg

and this but have no idea what that torn boot is either
k9jqRQ.jpg

any insight is appreciated

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Something fell off causing something to be out of balance is what I'm thinking.

Tire shop balanced tires and said they were not bad at all to begin with. doesn't sound like just out-of-balance wheel to me but can't figure it out..I like the car and it drives great otherwise

I had this happen on 3 different FWD cars. Each time, this wobbled appeared on acceleration, I mean when there was torque applied (heavy accel, hill, or engine breaking). Barely noticeable at steady speed on flat roads.

Each time it was the longer cv-joint axle that went nuts. The 3 cars were auto-trans (1 conventional and 2 dsg), 2 remaps and 1 full atock, all turbo diesel.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
Cv joint?

I highly suspect that though it's not clicking and the CV boots are intact .

Originally Posted By: Superflan
I had this happen on 3 different FWD cars. Each time, this wobbled appeared on acceleration, I mean when there was torque applied (heavy accel, hill, or engine breaking). Barely noticeable at steady speed on flat roads.

Each time it was the longer cv-joint axle that went nuts. The 3 cars were auto-trans (1 conventional and 2 dsg), 2 remaps and 1 full atock, all turbo diesel.

Hmmm, Yes Acceleration initiated the problem every time it occurred.

Don't really know if it's something a local mechanic can do or I need the dealership though I had a painful experience with they Hyundai Dealership near me.

Last edited:
Any decent mechanic can check out a CV joint and replace if needed. You will probably need a front alignment if a new joint is installed. Ed

k9jqRQ.jpg

What's that torn boot ?..it's not the axle ..it's something going up inside the car towards the steering wheel?

Originally Posted By: Azeem
Cv joint?

A bad inner CV joint will cause vibrations under load, and will not click when turning. I just had this happen with my van, and I had a bad inner joint. Boot still looked perfect too. The joints that click when they go bad are the outer CV joints, that go through the hub.

It's not a hard job to do yourself. Just make sure you either get a good rebuilt unit, or a brand new OEM unit. In my experience, new aftermarket CV axles are [censored]. Even bad out of the box sometimes.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Cv joint?

A bad inner CV joint will cause vibrations under load, and will not click when turning. I just had this happen with my van, and I had a bad inner joint. Boot still looked perfect too. The joints that click when they go bad are the outer CV joints, that go through the hub.

It's not a hard job to do yourself. Just make sure you either get a good rebuilt unit, or a brand new OEM unit. In my experience, new aftermarket CV axles are [censored]. Even bad out of the box sometimes.

How shall I isolate which side is at fault if I were to do the job myself..Thanks

Tire shop balanced tires and said they were not bad at all to begin with. doesn't sound like just out-of-balance wheel to me but can't figure it out..I like the car and it drives great otherwise.

That's not what I was thinking. I was thinking something else that's rotational. Some people say a CV shaft can do that, but I've never experienced it. I replaced my CV shafts because the boots were torn and slinging grease everywhere.

Is the check engine light on? I would check for misfires and bad motor mounts too.

thats a bad inner cv joint.
and the source of your vibration.
k9jqRQ.jpg

What's that torn boot ?..it's not the axle ..it's something going up inside the car towards the steering wheel?

Originally Posted By: kc8adu
edit.missed that this is on the steering.its shot and its bad news when it lets go.
k9jqRQ.jpg

My wife's Santa Fe at 116,000 miles has the same issue. Found torn CV joint (long one on passenger side) and replaced the whole thing. I paid an extra $75 and got both sides (cardone on rockauto.) Made zero difference. Had tires (firestone affinity....Never again) re-balanced. That helped 75%, but vibration still there a little bit.

edit.missed that this is on the steering.its shot and its bad news when it lets go.
k9jqRQ.jpg

Would that torn boot on the steering cause this crazy shaking?

Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
My wife's Santa Fe at 116,000 miles has the same issue. Found torn CV joint (long one on passenger side) and replaced the whole thing. I paid an extra $75 and got both sides (cardone on rockauto.) Made zero difference. Had tires (firestone affinity....Never again) re-balanced. That helped 75%, but vibration still there a little bit.

I've had vibration due to wheels or tire problem on some cars I have owned in the past and this one is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back