U joint grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced my U-joints from the permanently sealed ones to MOOG one with the little tiny grease port (I hate that thing)

When I installed the MOOG I remove the grease that was in there and replaced with Green Grease http://www.autozone.com/greases-and-gear...ease/945652_0_0

After installation I pumped (with the special adapter) until green grease can out all 4 corners on all three U-joints.

At 5K Miles on I greased them again with the same grease and gun and much to my surprise It tool quite a few pumps to get old grease coming out of the caps. I had a light on them and all three joints did the same. I could see quite a splatter of grease on the underside of the truck so it looks like it got slung out of the caps.
frown.gif

Is there a better grease for U joints on a DD (2007 Tacoma) that pull a boats a couple times a month?

I don't like the idea of the joints running dry between oil changes. ;/ AND I'm not crawling under there every gas fillup either.

If you are looking to stay with a lithium complex grease, check out Delo ESI, and Mystik JT-6 High temp.

If you have seen the light and want something other than a lithium complex grease, there are good options available from AMSOIL, Schaeffer, Texas Refinery, etc.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
I replaced my U-joints from the permanently sealed ones to MOOG one with the little tiny grease port (I hate that thing)

When I installed the MOOG I remove the grease that was in there and replaced with Green Grease http://www.autozone.com/greases-and-gear...ease/945652_0_0

After installation I pumped (with the special adapter) until green grease can out all 4 corners on all three U-joints.

At 5K Miles on I greased them again with the same grease and gun and much to my surprise It tool quite a few pumps to get old grease coming out of the caps. I had a light on them and all three joints did the same. I could see quite a splatter of grease on the underside of the truck so it looks like it got slung out of the caps.
frown.gif

Is there a better grease for U joints on a DD (2007 Tacoma) that pull a boats a couple times a month?

I don't like the idea of the joints running dry between oil changes. ;/ AND I'm not crawling under there every gas fillup either.

To much work for me I would toss them as fast as I put them in for maintenance free ones. If you stick with those horrors I would use Mobil 1 synthetic grease. The driveshaft shop I use also makes driveshafts and thats all they recommend.
I tried Green grease once and promptly tossed it in the trash, its too stringy and thick for my liking, I really cant think of any application for the stuff.

I tossed a set of grease jobbers, and went with the Spicer sealed for my Toyota pickup. Better all the way around, and the sealed are actually a higher quality u-joint.

I switched away from the sealed Spicer ones because I wore one out at 70K miles. Stock suspension and normal daily driving.

The other caps 11 looked good with lots of grease and still blue in color. The bad one ground the needles down to powder and the end to a nub about 3/4 the diameter it should have been. Made an alarming vibration at certain speeds. I thought it was tires...nope drive axle. This was the U-joint on the rear end.

I figured the seal leaked so why not just get the ones you grease at every oil change. I'm under there anyway waiting for the oil to drain and only 3 zerks... whats the big deal?

Last edited:
I have been using.....grease with moly in mine! Usually the black valvoline grease.

Some will say thats the wrong grease but I have over 200k between 2 cars and so far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back