Toyota Tundra vs Chevy Silverado?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of getting a truck in a few months, selling off the G20 and the Jeep GC in the process.

So I'm curious what some you all think about 2007-2013 Tundra's with a 5.7L versus 2000-2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

The obvious difference is one is the Tundra is gas-powered while the Silverado is diesel.

I am more partial to how the Tundra looks in Crewmax form, but a diesel is a diesel, so the Chevy wins the powerplant comparison IMO.

Narrowing it down to these two models for now. Yes I know a 5.9L Cummins in a Dodge is probably the best used non-commercial truck out there but I'd like to keep this thread comparison between the Tundra and the Silverado specifically.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Are you looking to haul or tow anything heavy ?

Not immediately.

That's a really tough comparison because they're two very different trucks.

Without pricing them out the Tundra seems like the less expensive option, decently equipped Tundra should be $45-50k. The Duramax truck would be somewhat of a base model at the same price point. So in terms of trim level for the money Tundra wins. Drivetrain wise both the 5.7 Tundra engine and the Duramax are well respected and reliable engines, the Duramax should win out in fuel economy but costs significantly more to maintain with oil and filters and DEF etc. and god forbid should you ever have to replace the oxidation catalyst. So I'd call a wash here too.

Capability wise the Duramax wins, it tows more, hauls more and has a heavier drivetrain you'd expect it to have for a 3/4 ton truck.

Resale value, Tundra wins here all day long.

How will the truck be used throughout your ownership? Towing and Hauling? For me if I'm hauling or towing between 80-100% of the trucks capacity on average 25% of the time and above 50% of the trucks capacity 50% of the time I'd want a 3/4 ton truck to do that, likely with a diesel. Anything less than that the Tundra is more than suitable and would be suitable even at the 80-100% of rated load but it's just not any fun hauling that heavy with a gas engine if you do it very often or for long distances.

I personally think the Tundra is the better truck, but the way you intend to use it really matters. I wouldn't want the Tundra if I was towing a race trailer or a large camper or heavy boat frequently or for long distances.

That is oranges to apples. The diesel would be great if you are going to tow frequently, although I would imagine that the 5.7 in the Tundra would be sufficient. The Tundra, however, has the best reliability in the full size non-HD segment and as far as I am aware the highest resale value as well. For me the choice is clear, but it really depends on your needs.

My son bought a new 2007 GMC Sierra diesel he used to pull a 32 foot camper. After a few years he sold the truck and camper, and bought a new 2013 Tundra. The Sierra pulled the camper effortlessly and was a great truck. 2 years ago we used his dual axle trailer to pull two large UTV's to NAshville and back and the Tundra struggled in the mountains of NC and Tn pulling the dual axle trailer with two large UTV' s behind it. If you're planning towing heavy, go with the diesel. Light towing with the Tundra and you will be fine. His Tundra has the TRD package and though a great truck, it rides VERY stiff and you feel every little dip and road imperfection.

I just bought a 2017 Tundra and i love it.I traded my 2005 Ram 2500 cummins.Tundra rides night and day different compared to the Ram.The thing most people dont use or realize on the Tundra is the tow/haul mode button,turn that on and the truck is a whole different animal,like a whole nother truck.It's like it normally runs on 3/4 power then push tow/haul and you have 100% power.You want a chevy diesel make sure its the duramax not the old 6.5 boat anchor.Also 2016 and older Tundras have the small 26 gal gas tank ,2017 now has 38 gal tank.Good luck

What's so great about the diesel? Especially if you aren't going to be towing 10k+ pounds.

Get a Chevy with a 6.0L if you are going to tow. If you aren't going to tow, get a 1/2 ton.

Save yourself the costly repairs and skip the diesel. A buddy of mine has had two duramax trucks an 03 and an 05. Two sets of injectors in the 03. A set of injectors and a water pump in the 05. Here's the kicker he spent about 2500 in parts for the last two injector jobs since he did them himself and 1200 for a shop to do the water pump. No telling what the shop charged him to do the first set of injectors. But he had to have those and the water pump done asap as he was on the road when he was having the issues.

Last edited:
I like GMC / Chevy better than Toyota. But unless you are towing get the gas motor.

The half-ton trucks are very capable these days. The Tundra's power train is really dated. Consequently-it gets worse millage than the big three domestics.

Right now- you can get 25% off a 2017 Ford F150-and 30% off a Silverado 1500.

If your not looking to tow over 10,000 pounds- IMHO-this is where you should be looking.

I towed a 30 foot-5,500 pound travel trailer coast to coast (all the way up to Maine) with a 2011 Silverado 5.3 with no issues what-so-ever-over the course of 7 months full timing.

S0-my comments are based on actual usage-using a truck like a truck.

Last edited:
Why not the 6.0 gas in the 2500HD if you have to have a 3/4 ton? More direct comparison. There are some Silverado 1500s out there with a 6.0 but they're kinda rare.

That Tundra has a ton of legroom in the back, too much really. Seems like wasted space. I looked at Tundras hard but would have to go back 2 years and add 30-40K compared to a similarly priced Silverado.

If you have to have a diesel get the 07 Silverado 2500HD Classic with the LBZ engine. More HP & torque and no DEF, soot box, etc.

If I needed a 3/4 ton truck, it would be a 6.0 Chevy or maybe a V-8 Ford.
No real need for a diesel unless you just have to have one.
The diesel will not haul any better and will certainly be more expensive to own.
The days when a diesel could haul heavy and also be cheaper to run are long over.
The Tundra appears to me to be overhyped and overpriced.
Pickups are the best vehicles Chevy and Ford build while the same cannot be said of Toyota IMO.
This is one case where the idea of buying domestic is the sensible one.
Also, if you're willing to spend a bit more, there are some good buys on Ford and Chevy (or GMC) 3/4 ton pickups, with cheap or free financing to boot.

Ah I dig the insight here.

Merk, the irony is I stumbled across a Tundra Crewmax while searching Nissan Titans LOL

I don't intend on towing anything heavy, but I may find myself wanting to tow my 300ZX once the restoration is complete, but that won't be for years at my current rate of progess. So towing heavy right now is of no concern.

So far, I feel the Tundra 5.7L crewmax is the truck that will suit my needs. I really like the way they look!

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Why not the 6.0 gas in the 2500HD if you have to have a 3/4 ton? More direct comparison. There are some Silverado 1500s out there with a 6.0 but they're kinda rare.

That Tundra has a ton of legroom in the back, too much really. Seems like wasted space. I looked at Tundras hard but would have to go back 2 years and add 30-40K compared to a similarly priced Silverado.

If you have to have a diesel get the 07 Silverado 2500HD Classic with the LBZ engine. More HP & torque and no DEF, soot box, etc.

More rare than Unicorns......

Originally Posted By: Dumc87
Merk, the irony is I stumbled across a Tundra Crewmax while searching Nissan Titans LOL

OK well..........I didn't want you to buy something and then kick yourself for forgetting about the Nissan Titan..........

Originally Posted By: Dumc87
I don't intend on towing anything heavy, but I may find myself wanting to tow my 300ZX once the restoration is complete, but that won't be for years at my current rate of progess.

You can always tow it to my house and leave it in my driveway for me as a really nice gift
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back