Which Struts ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there are threads asking this scattered about over the years, some many years back. But products evolve, some improve (or degrade) and experiences change - hence the inquiry as to any recent experiences and feedback.

Vehicle: 2006 Ford 500, front wheel drive
Mileage: 175,000 on original struts (front and rear)
Ride preference - I'm not particularly enamored with soft cushion rides. Preference is to be able to feel the road (without reaching out and dragging the asphalt)

Looking to replace front and rear sets. Any thoughts on Monroe vs Gabriel vs KYB vs (insert one I've overlooked) ?

Thanx in advance.

Rockauto has plenty of options. I would go the Motorcraft if I was wanting to restore the ride to original. If you are wanting a little more control and road feel/handling - go KYB Excel-G. Both are very reasonable on rockauto.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2006,five+hundred,3.0l+v6,1432371,suspension,strut,7584

Last edited:
I bought a set of Sen Sen brand quick struts for my '02 ford Explorer, when it had 180k on the originals. I think they were around $320 for all 4. They lifted it up at least 1 1/2 inches. The ride is very smooth on smooth roads, but my towns roads are the pits and they do bounce more then the stock ones did. I bought them online and were shipped to my door. I didn't want to spend alot on a vehicle with almost 200k on it. And who knows when something expensive will go and send it to the wreckers.,,,

When I replaced struts on my first 528e, at 225K miles, I went with OE, Boge hydraulics. I think they were less than the Bilsteins, the go fast guys favored.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I bought a set of Sen Sen brand quick struts for my '02 ford Explorer, when it had 180k on the originals. I think they were around $320 for all 4. They lifted it up at least 1 1/2 inches. The ride is very smooth on smooth roads, but my towns roads are the pits and they do bounce more then the stock ones did. I bought them online and were shipped to my door. I didn't want to spend alot on a vehicle with almost 200k on it. And who knows when something expensive will go and send it to the wreckers.,,,

Funny, I purchased the same brand for the same reasons. Sensen shocks for my 2002 Infiniti, currently at 211k although I did swap a very clean JDM engine in about 2k miles ago.

KYB is good and probably the best choice for you. They also have a $40 rebate until 9/30 when you buy all four
smile.gif

3rd on rockauto. Beware if the 500 came in "soft" and "sport" suspension trims that the aftermarket might be one size fits all. KYB has a rep for being slightly stiffer/ sportier.

I've run a few sets of sensen and am somewhat disappointed in their durability. They disappeared from rockauto, see-ya!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
3rd on rockauto. Beware if the 500 came in "soft" and "sport" suspension trims that the aftermarket might be one size fits all. KYB has a rep for being slightly stiffer/ sportier.

I've run a few sets of sensen and am somewhat disappointed in their durability. They disappeared from rockauto, see-ya!

OP seems to want the sportier ride that KYB offers, and Rock Auto probably stopped carrying SenSen due to comebacks, warranty issues, etc. You weren't the only one disappointed in their durability. They're supposedly a Chinese copy of KYB.

It's a shame, since Sensen and the other Chinese struts are the only quick struts available for the 500.

from Slacktide_bitog

OP seems to want the sportier ride that KYB offers, and Rock Auto probably stopped carrying SenSen due to comebacks, warranty issues, etc. You weren't the only one disappointed in their durability. They're supposedly a Chinese copy of KYB.

It's a shame, since Sensen and the other Chinese struts are the only quick struts available for the 500.

It's not so much a sportier ride, but one that doesn't feel like a road sofa. My wife doesn't want to know if she hit a bump. I want to know.
33.gif

I had KYB on a vehicle back in the early 90s, but not since. Good to see they haven't gone to the dogs. Looks like KYB it'll be. Many thanks for the feedback and responses.

I'm a big fan of Gabriel Ultra, but they will not give you a sporty ride quality. Monroe Spectrum will give a compliant ride much like the Ultras. I've heard a lot of people describe KYB's as "harsh" after they put them on expecting more of a sporty feel, but I, myself, have no experience with them. I think you'll be surprised how well the car will feel regardless of what "non-sporty" shock you put on. Shocks wear slowly and you get used to how they feel over that time. When you put new ones on, it makes a huge difference regardless; especially after 175k. If it were me, I'd probably put the Motorcraft's on.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: eljefino

I've heard Sensen is iffy in terms of long term use, but considering the high mileage of my G20 combined with my preference for Coilovers, I figured if I get 20K miles out of the cheap Sensens, I'm satisfied. Would I recommend them over KYB, Monroe, Bilstein or even Gabriel on a vehicle with under 100k miles... No. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back