Who here runs an oil filter or oil pan magnet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running oil filter magnets for years now. Cut some filters open and was surprised what they captured.
How about you guys?

Wouldn't what the magnet captured have also been captured by the filter media?

I put a few strong magnets around oil filter.

We all have seen pics of powdered iron caught by these things.

These iron particles would go right through filter.

I'm not OCD about oil change, and haven't changed in 6 years, but only 6k miles.

Oil looks good and will get UOA next spring.

This is rotary engine RX8.

Run both.

Best supplemental filtering aid you can get.

Those super fine particles will go round and round through your filter and parts.

If Filtermag is to be believed running one of their units will result in a full ISO code drop or better which is significant improvement.

Pop one on a motorhome or marine engine, or tractor and you'll be amazed what a power plant under a sustained high load (not a regular car) will put out.

UD

Last edited:
Magnetic drain plugs, i recently made my own.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4465589/Re:_How_are_magnetic_drain_plu#Post4465589

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Run both.

Those super fine particles will go round and round through your filter and parts.

If Filtermag is to be believed running one of their units will result in a full ISO code drop or better which is significant improvement.

Pop one on a motorhome or marine engine, or tractor and you'll be amazed what a power plant under a sustained high load (not a regular car) will put out.

UD

You realize that a 10 micron particle, which they readily filter at 95% is almost un-seeable....right?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Wouldn't what the magnet captured have also been captured by the filter media?

I suppose that would depend on the quality of the filter and if it ever went into bypass mode or had a media or end cap failure.

I have a magnet on the plug of each car, tranny and diffs included. Harley and my lawnmower does not have a plug, so the both have a magnet on the dipstick. I buy my own N52s, stack them onto the plug/or whatever else and epoxy them in place. I have lost a few magnets in the Jeep to the steel oil pan, hence the epoxy.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Run the gold drain plugs

This is what I use.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
You realize that a 10 micron particle, which they readily filter at 95% is almost un-seeable....right?

A blood cell is microscopic, but you have seen blood... right?

Yup!

I started to run FilterMags a few years ago after looking how much got caught in the transmission pan!

I’m using a PAIR of FilterMags and more neodymium bar magnets on the empty spaces around the filter
the FilterMags doesn’t cover.

Over the years I’ve tried most major brands of oil filters, in each case the engine oil darkened just as quickly.
In vintage cars hi blow-by can allow soot to darken oil. In late model cars, blow-by is a lot less, it’s mostly wear metals.

I’m up to 8 months before then engine oil darkens instead of 2 months! The UOA come back with lower metals across the board.
I figure with 50% less iron allowed to circulate in the oil then wear to other parts including lead babbit main bearings drops to.
So far lead is at < 1PPM - meaning “trace level” only, kinda nice!

I use a drain plug mag too with a 1” long mag built in, but no accumulation on it for the last 3 years. My PPMs overall are fairly low anyway.

Since oil pan steel is .080” or thicker, magnets on outside of steel pan have little effect in the oil pan, plus you can’t clean off
the inside. The steel shell of a spin-on filter is under .020” thick so FilterMags and bar mags work well, when get rid of the filter
you get rid of the metals too!

Since oil filters are spec’d around 95% (at 20 microns) all the stuff picked up is way smaller and never gets caught in filter – just the magnets.

I tried what’s in this PDF, lots of good pics too:

FILTERMAG vs HOMEBREW
https://app.box.com/s/uxvu8dmscf5wcgftutdm0ejqwgn86tw7

I have run the Goldplugs, always a small amount of gray paste on them when I drain the oil.

I would assume the filter mags work even better.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

A blood cell is microscopic, but you have seen blood... right?

seen lots of blood....but have I seen a "single blood cell"? I work with devices that detect micron size particles in the air. Trust me, they are not able to be seen by the naked eye.

Last edited:
I slap a couple of old disk drive magnets on my oil filters at oil change time. I cut apart an old oil filter and there was a shadow of particles where the magnets were, so I figure it couldn't hurt.

I encountered a magnet someone had placed in an automatic transmission pan on a used car we purchased. It was quite well covered with a black sludge of fine particles. I didn't even realize it was a cylindrical magnet until I cleaned it off. The magnet went back in the pan as I put the pan back on.

Run both.

UD

I realize that A 10 micron particle is almost invisible.

Thousands of them stuck to a magnet are quite visible.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
I slap a couple of old disk drive magnets on my oil filters at oil change time. I cut apart an old oil filter and there was a shadow of particles where the magnets were, so I figure it couldn't hurt.

Yep me too! have a few old hard drive magnets on my cars! Just bought some high power Neo magnets about 2" square for a $1 ea. at the recycle yard the other day as well. Have a ring magnet for my DR oil filter as well with a mag sump plug.

Cheap easy and it works!
cool.gif

Run both.

UD

I realize that A 10 micron particle is almost invisible.

Thousands of them stuck to a magnet are quite visible.

UD

well of course you can see them. My point was why use a magnet for particles that will be filtered anyway. The OEM didn't see the need for a magnet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back