Which brake grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one is best? I'd like to stick with just one, for all the tasks (slide pins, pad hardware, etc) rather than getting both the little ones. One less thing to lose
wink.gif
thanks all!

2GPchJS.jpg

That Permatex ceramic grease may be a good choice, but I don't use Permatex grease no matter what the color is as I have used several and they ALL swell the lower pin bushing to the extent that removal is very difficult. Also attacks rubber pin seals. Bendix Ceramlub is a good choice but expensive. I use Sil-Glyde myself.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Silglide or equivalent

This.

+2

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Silglide or equivalent

This.

+2

+3

NAPA sells the original Sil-Glyde under their own label also: P/N: 7651346

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The Permatex in the Green tube.

So I should get the little green tube for the slide pins? What should I use to the rest? The one in the other little tube, or one of the big ones? Thanks!

I'll stop by Napa and see if they have that sil-glyde thing. What's so special about that though?

Originally Posted By: dogememe
The Permatex in the Green tube.

So I should get the little green tube for the slide pins? What should I use to the rest? The one in the other little tube, or one of the big ones? Thanks!

I'll stop by Napa and see if they have that sil-glyde thing. What's so special about that though?
Be aware that the green Permatex brake grease will swell some rubber components. Swelled the lower pin bushings on my Camry calipers and made getting the pins out very difficult. Use Sil-Glyde or a dialectic silicone grease.

Originally Posted By: dogememe

Yes, get the little Green tube for the slide pins and use plenty of it.

I don't know what's so special about Sil-Glyde; I've never used it.

I use Dynatex Silicone Grease. Big enough to last me a long time. Also use it on electric applications and on distributor points. Its pure silicone grease; doesn't swell up boots.

All these years I thought Sil-Glyde was full synthetic.

http://agscompany.com/product/sil-glyde-silicone-lubricant-tube-4-oz/

These "opinion" threads sppear to be simply threads of conflicting information with no resl proof either way.

Green swells rubber.

Green does not swell rubber.

How important is it that a brake grease is 100% synthetic?

Does it have a higher melting point?

Does it react with rubber seals and boots?

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
That Permatex ceramic grease may be a good choice, but I don't use Permatex grease no matter what the color is as I have used several and they ALL swell the lower pin bushing to the extent that removal is very difficult. I use Sil-Glyde myself.

Yes, get the little Green tube for the slide pins and use plenty of it.

I don't know what's so special about Sil-Glyde; I've never used it.

I've used several on caiper pins including never sieze and always has sticky pins at the next pad change. Silglyde fixed that.

Don't ask for a technical reason for why, Just my experience.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Be aware that the green Permatex brake grease will swell some rubber components. Swelled the lower pin bushings on my Camry calipers and made getting the pins out very difficult. Use Sil-Glyde or a dialectic silicone grease.

You mean these guys here ?

H16043.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back