5W20 VS 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
People used to say that a 0w20 required a better base oil than a 5w20. Anyone have any thoughts and especially data on differences? Interested in comparing Pennzoil Platinum oils. Ed

I looked up MSDS data on an oil which seems to indicate both the 0W20 and 5W20 products use the same base oils. Actually, it appears like the data points are close that the bottler puts 0W20 in the 5W20 bottles and uses data points within a close margin of error and constant revision tricks to fool the public. It's truly a what you don't know wont hurt you type of deal. The consumer benefits in this case.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
People used to say that a 0w20 required a better base oil than a 5w20. Anyone have any thoughts and especially data on differences? Interested in comparing Pennzoil Platinum oils. Ed

It's probably a highly refined Group 3+ oil, like most on the market including Mobil1 and the Pennzoil Platinum you mention, can you clarify better how on those base oils?

What used to be said was that for a conventional oil to be 5W-20 (because, notice, there are no conventional 0w-20) there had to be a certain % of synthetic base-stock, therefore inferring that all 5W-20 is a blend of some sort.

It takes more effort to make a 0w20 than a 5w20. More viscosity spread and just plain fact its a 0. Most manufacturers I think that recommend 0w20 over 5w20, knows they can do that without writing there own extensive spec. for oil and still requiring a quality oil. Now if your comparing Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 to their 5w20, they both would be equally as good.

Thanks for the input. Now for the fun of it I looked at PP 5w30. WOW, 5W30 has a host of specs that nether the 0W20 or 5W20 don't have. 5W30 meets the A5/B5 spec, the Honda HTO turbo spec. Considering using 5w30 in my SkyActiv engine that calls for 0w20 in the USA/CAN but, 5W30 in other countries. Ed

Here is a comment published by Toyota regarding their stance on 5W/0W oils in their product line.

Only Toyota vehicles in which 0w-20 synthetic oil is required (except for the 2TR-FE and 3UR-FBE Engines*)
have been approved for extended oil change intervals of 10,000-miles/12-months. (However, you should continue to check
the oil level regularly and top off if needed. That will help your engine get the full benefit of synthetic oil.)

Vehicles in which 0w-20 is an option to 5w-20 mineral oil, (or 5w-30), will continue to require 5,000-mile/6-month oil
change intervals, even if 0w-20 oil is used.

In the case of vehicles with 10,000 mile oil change intervals, the 5,000 mile service interval has not been eliminated.
The traditional 5,000 mile maintenance procedures (such as tire rotation) will continue to be required, and the fluid
levels (such as brake fluid) will need to be checked and adjusted at this time.

If the vehicle operation meets the standard criteria for "Special Operating Conditions" such as: driving off-road,
on dirt roads, towing a trailer, making repeated short trips under 32ºF, or extensive idling; the engine oil must be
replaced at 5,000 mile intervals, regardless of what type of oil is used.

*The 2TR-FE (4Runner / Tacoma) and the 3UR-FBE (Flex Fuel Tundra / Sequoia) are the exceptions to this
new change interval program; these engines have not been approved for the 10,000 mile interval at this time.
A 5,000-mile/6-month oil change interval is still required for these vehicles. Also, the Flex Fuel 3UR-FBE
requires a 2,500 mile interval when operated on E85.

... I looked at PP 5w30. WOW, 5W30 has a host of specs that nether the 0W20 or 5W20 don't have. 5W30 meets the A5/B5 spec, the Honda HTO turbo spec. ...
My yellow jug of PP 0W-20 claims to meet Honda HTO. That's good to know, considering 0W-20 isn't required to meet the TEOST coking tests, as I understand.

That Toyota information FowVay quotes is curiously silent on the subject of 5W-20 synthetic oil. I have trouble seeing why it wouldn't be as good or better than corresponding 0W-20 of the same brand, if extreme temperatures are not involved, and base oil quality is similar.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
Here is a comment published by Toyota regarding their stance on 5W/0W oils in their product line.

Only Toyota vehicles in which 0w-20 synthetic oil is required (except for the 2TR-FE and 3UR-FBE Engines*)
have been approved for extended oil change intervals of 10,000-miles/12-months. (However, you should continue to check
the oil level regularly and top off if needed. That will help your engine get the full benefit of synthetic oil.)

Vehicles in which 0w-20 is an option to 5w-20 mineral oil, (or 5w-30), will continue to require 5,000-mile/6-month oil
change intervals, even if 0w-20 oil is used.

In the case of vehicles with 10,000 mile oil change intervals, the 5,000 mile service interval has not been eliminated.
The traditional 5,000 mile maintenance procedures (such as tire rotation) will continue to be required, and the fluid
levels (such as brake fluid) will need to be checked and adjusted at this time.

If the vehicle operation meets the standard criteria for "Special Operating Conditions" such as: driving off-road,
on dirt roads, towing a trailer, making repeated short trips under 32ºF, or extensive idling; the engine oil must be
replaced at 5,000 mile intervals, regardless of what type of oil is used.

*The 2TR-FE (4Runner / Tacoma) and the 3UR-FBE (Flex Fuel Tundra / Sequoia) are the exceptions to this
new change interval program; these engines have not been approved for the 10,000 mile interval at this time.
A 5,000-mile/6-month oil change interval is still required for these vehicles. Also, the Flex Fuel 3UR-FBE
requires a 2,500 mile interval when operated on E85.

What they are really saying is we(Toyota) did not test those engines to run 10,000 miles on 0w20. So therefore, You got to do what we told you to do. If you like to run 10,000 mile on 0w20, do your own UOA to see if it can be done. I believe you could run 5000 miles if you use E85 as well.
Originally Posted By: CR94
... I looked at PP 5w30. WOW, 5W30 has a host of specs that nether the 0W20 or 5W20 don't have. 5W30 meets the A5/B5 spec, the Honda HTO turbo spec. ...
My yellow jug of PP 0W-20 claims to meet Honda HTO. That's good to know, considering 0W-20 isn't required to meet the TEOST coking tests, as I understand.

That Toyota information FowVay quotes is curiously silent on the subject of 5W-20 synthetic oil. I have trouble seeing why it wouldn't be as good or better than corresponding 0W-20 of the same brand, if extreme temperatures are not involved, and base oil quality is similar.
Sure we all know 5w20 full synthetic oil is good oil. And it could be better than 0w20 full synthetic. But Toyota probably doesn't want to confuse people and figure people in using the cheapest 5w20. So they take the easier route of that the cheapest 0w20 is better than the cheapest 5w20.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back